Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer boots for around 15 sec. then shuts down

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 alphazak

alphazak

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:34 PM

Okay, I have had this computer for around 4 months or so and when I start it up it will get to where the windows logo is coming together and then shut down. Sometimes it won't even make it that far. I have tried reseating the RAM and also cleaning out the inside of the computer with compressed air. I have a feeling that the power button might be sticking or something but I cant seem to find the cord for it. My case is the NZXT Phantom Full Tower Gaming Case.  Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:42 PM

Try going into the bios when you boot and locate the CPU temperature monitor in there. Let it run for a while and keep an eye on the temperature readout. If it goes to high, the machine will shutdown.

#3 alphazak

alphazak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:55 PM

Try going into the bios when you boot and locate the CPU temperature monitor in there. Let it run for a while and keep an eye on the temperature readout. If it goes to high, the machine will shutdown.

The computer will not make it to the point where it will tell me the key to get into bios. It seems to stay on less and less the more I try it.

#4 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:16 PM

You use the "Delete" key on most machines,(right after it shows the memory test stuff, while it is showing the HDDs, and CDROMs installed), though some "Name Brands" use other keys. Also they don't tell you which key to use to enter the bios on most machines.

#5 alphazak

alphazak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:47 PM

You use the "Delete" key on most machines,(right after it shows the memory test stuff, while it is showing the HDDs, and CDROMs installed), though some "Name Brands" use other keys. Also they don't tell you which key to use to enter the bios on most machines.

Yes, I have tried. It will not let me get into BIOS.

#6 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:53 PM

Only thing I can suggest then to get into the bios, is try the various "F" keys up at the top of your keyboard. Some machine use one of those. Apart from that you should check to see if your heatsink is properly installed.

#7 alphazak

alphazak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:57 PM

Only thing I can suggest then to get into the bios, is try the various "F" keys up at the top of your keyboard. Some machine use one of those. Apart from that you should check to see if your heatsink is properly installed.

It seems that whenever it gets to the windows launch, it crashes. When I hit f8, it brought up a screen with a lot of options but there were none that said anything about a fan though.

#8 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:09 PM

It might be a Windows problem then judging by what you just said. But re checking the heatsink to see if it is properly installed, that is something you do by taking the side cover off the machine, and examining the heatsink on top of the processor. You might also want to check to see if the heatsink is full of dust, and if it is use a can of compressed air to blow it clean. Apart from that, try pressing the F8 key and when the options list comes up, select "Safe Mode" which causes Windows to boot without all the drivers for various hardware, and see if it will boot that way.

Edited by JHMcG, 02 June 2013 - 07:11 PM.

#9 alphazak

alphazak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:32 PM

It might be a Windows problem then judging by what you just said. But re checking the heatsink to see if it is properly installed, that is something you do by taking the side cover off the machine, and examining the heatsink on top of the processor. You might also want to check to see if the heatsink is full of dust, and if it is use a can of compressed air to blow it clean. Apart from that, try pressing the F8 key and when the options list comes up, select "Safe Mode" which causes Windows to boot without all the drivers for various hardware, and see if it will boot that way.

I cleaned the heatsink (didnt take it off though for fears of not putting it back on correctly) and tried safe mode but the computer has not showed signs of improvement

#10 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:03 PM

Well, you should be able to enter the bios, don't know why you can't. But did you press down lightly on the heatsink when you had the side cover off to see if it moved ? Because it MUST be properly installed or the processor is sure to overheat. It isn't too hard to remove and reinstall a heatsink, but if you do that you must clean off the old thermal paste from the top of the processor and the bottom of the heatsink, then put a thin smooth layer of fresh thermal paste, (preferably Arctic Silver 5) on top of the square heat transfer surface of the processor before reinstalling the heatsink.

As for your power button maybe sticking, to find the cord for it what you do is take off the side cover, then remove the front cover carefully. Some machine have clipon plastic front covers, and some have screw on plastic front covers. To see which yours is, you look inside the machine with the side cover off, and see if the are plastic clips sticking through the front metal panel on the case, or if the are round plastic legs which screws go into. Once the front cover is removed, you will see if the wires for the buttons on the plastic front panel go to buttons which are part of the plastic front panel, or if they go to buttons installed in the front metal panel which stick out through holes in the plastic front panel. In either case you should be able to trace the wires to the power switch.

But judging by the way it is shutting down this is a processor overheating problem or a Windows problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users