Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I can't download virus removal

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 rvparks

rvparks

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:07 PM

I have a trojan. All downloads (or programs I try to open) take me to the "Windows View Downloads" screen. Nothing happens from there, whether I hit run or save. I can't save anything to the desktop or notepad as many forums suggest. It just gets stuck in that window.

I am on Vista, IE 9, safemode with networking. My connection is fine, but I could only get online through the Windows/Microsoft/whatever-it-was help screen. (IE icon just takes me to the view downloads screen.) 

Edited by hamluis, 02 June 2013 - 05:15 PM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:36 PM

Hi -

Follow this > Download and install Google Chrome and see if this works.
If we can get any browser working you can keep it as a spare for later, or remove it when finished.

Thank You -

#3 rvparks

rvparks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:19 PM

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately it didn't work. It still just took me to the "view downloads" screen, and does nothing from there. If I click "run' or "save as", it just blinks once and then nothing. no downloads, nothing opens.  I also tried a cd of vipre antivirus, did the same thing, view downloads.

#4 im abcd

im abcd

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:15 PM

Alright, lets try it via a different way. Firstly download Malwarebytes Anti Malware

from a different computer and then copy the setup to your PC. Next, lets try to run the file via cmd. To do so, please do the following: 

• Go ahead and place the setup file in C: drive.

• Next, go to run and type 'cmd'. 

• Type 'cd C:\' and press enter.

• Then simply type out the name of the setup and press enter. (eg- If its MBAMsetup.exe, type out MBAMsetup)

• See if the setup opens then. 

• You could do the above steps to run any files for the time being. 

3dsig_zpsd150d538.png

#5 rvparks

rvparks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

Still goes to Windows IE "view and track downloads" screen each time I hit enter.

EX: says mbam-setup-....exe, wants me to run or save program. When I do, nothing happens, just resets that screen.

#6 im abcd

im abcd

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:33 PM

Still goes to Windows IE "view and track downloads" screen each time I hit enter.

EX: says mbam-setup-....exe, wants me to run or save program. When I do, nothing happens, just resets that screen.

Does the same thing happen in safe mode too? 

3dsig_zpsd150d538.png

#7 rvparks

rvparks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

yes

#8 im abcd

im abcd

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:34 AM

yes

Interesting. I don't know if the following would work but you could give it a try. 

• Go to run, type 'cmd' and press enter. 
  • Type 'sfc /scannow' and let it scan and fix anything that it finds.
  • See if you are still experiencing the same error. 

3dsig_zpsd150d538.png

#9 mytechgirl

mytechgirl

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:29 AM

Hi guys -

I am going through this very same process at the moment on my parents computer - I have no idea what they did, but I cannot download or install anything, either.  I am currently running the above, not sure what I would do next.  :)

Any help would be appreciated!

I've tried downloading both the .exe and .zip file of the TDSS killer, and I get the same thing as rvparks - the computer deletes it automatically - due to the virus, I'm sure.

Bah!!

Thanks for any help!

#10 rvparks

rvparks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:50 AM

cmd didn't work. it just takes me to view downolad: cmd.exe.

thank you for the suggestions though

#11 im abcd

im abcd

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:36 PM

Alright, next we would try changing the extensions. 

To the OP, change the .exe extension of the MBAM setup file to .bat, .com, .pif, .scr. Also try renaming the setup. If it works, run a full scan and post the log here.

To TechGirl, please download Malwarebytes Anti Malware setup file from another computer and copy it into your infected PC. Next, follow the steps which I asked the OP to do. 

Edited by im abcd, 04 June 2013 - 01:36 PM.

3dsig_zpsd150d538.png

#12 mytechgirl

mytechgirl

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:38 PM

Thanks, I tried that, I'm having the same issues, can't get it to even recognize anything I attach (like a USB drive) - so frustrating.  I'll try changing the name as well and let you know ;)

#13 mytechgirl

mytechgirl

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:59 PM

Hey guys - for what it's worth, moving the file to the C drive and then starting in Safe Mode with Command (not networking) worked for me.  I followed the rest of im abcd's instructions for installing and running it from the cmd prompt and it's installing now :) Yay! 

What a nasty virus!  *SIGH* parents! 

#14 im abcd

im abcd

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:11 AM

Hey guys - for what it's worth, moving the file to the C drive and then starting in Safe Mode with Command (not networking) worked for me.  I followed the rest of im abcd's instructions for installing and running it from the cmd prompt and it's installing now :) Yay! 

What a nasty virus!  *SIGH* parents! 

Good, run a full scan with MBAM after it has installed. Then see, if the files are opening normally in Normal Mode. 

3dsig_zpsd150d538.png

#15 mytechgirl

mytechgirl

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:23 AM

The files will run now, but so far three different programs (the two above plus one more) and the virus lives on!  It's a bad one.  I'm going to try one more and if that doesn't work I'll be reformatting :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users