Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sudden BSODs, unavailable network: OK now? would like a check

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Kranium

Kranium

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:53 PM

This all started after I opened a web link in IE, after it wouldn't display in FireFox. (not something I normally do & kind of a dumb move on my part)

Last night, for the first time in a number of years, I had a BSOD. Within a few minutes of restarting, I had another. This repeated iteslf a number of times. Some programs wouldn't work, either. (firefox, process explorer, event viewer even crashed) I couldn't get online, or even connect to my modem - troubleshooting said the ethernet cable was unplugged, which was not true. I tried some scans and they came back clean. (ESET, MalwareBytes) Then I did some RAM tests w/ MemTest - OK. Eventually I did get back online this morning (after a number of reboots) but couldn't connect via my VPN: "OpenVPN failed connection / All TAP-Win32 adapters on this system are currently in use". Reboot > OK now.

I'm concerned that a rootkit or something like that has settled in. Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated. :wub:

Some quick details:

Win 7 x64

AV = ESET NOD32

8GB RAM

BSODS from last night (these happened multiple times - there may have been others I missed, as it was auto-restarting at first):

> DRIVER_IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

> tcpip.sys

> modification of system code or critical data structure was detected

PS: Great site! I've lurked here for years.

Edited by Kranium, 02 June 2013 - 04:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users