Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 8 & the START menu

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 eriktheready

eriktheready

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:40 PM

I was told by someone in Incredible Connection (local e-store) that MSoft are bringing back a Win8 version of the Start menu due to the vast number of complaints they have received. On going to the MS downloads site no such thing exists.

I am using an aftermarket version of the start menu but sometimes my machine starts with the WIN8 tiles and I have to click the Windows key and restart the machine.

I will say that when it loads correctly - about 90% of the time - it is bloody fast and an absolute pleasure.

I also hate the new way in WIN8 of downloading pictures from my camera. The old XP and Win7 menu was a doddle but this new method is a real sod.

Anyone got any information on new fixes MS is bringing out - particularly a MSoft Windows START menu for Win8

Erik

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:35 PM

Windows 8.1 (formerly known as Windows Blue) will be a free update for Windows 8 users.

It goes into public review on June 26th and it should be final somewhere between October and December.

The latest build apparently brings the Start button back and the option to boot straight to Desktop bypassing Metro screen.

However Start button  will NOT bring any regular start menu. It'll only toggle between Desktop and Metro.

Total bummer to me.

On my Windows 8 I use 5 bucks worth Start8: http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/download.asp

Works very well.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:57 PM

Hi

My choice is StartisBack . What makes it different from others is you don't  see the Metro UI even for a fraction of a second. You have to pay just $3 for 2 systems. There is a 30 day trial version available.

http://www.startisback.com/

#4 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:09 AM

Broni / Anshad - thank you, thank you, a thousand times over for both the links and information.

I'm trying to help a friend tweak a new Dell laptop with Windows 8 and I hate this OS.  Jeez, is it ever awkward, clunky and, dare I say it, unsightly.

Please note that I'm not a Windows Hater - I love 7 and I'll be hanging on to that like I did my XP. 

onward,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#5 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:11 PM

I feel compelled to add an update to this post, esp. in light of the fact that I just downloaded the Start8 app from the link that Broni provided.

It was not the easiest of installs and - here's the point that bothered me - some bundled software did get attached and installed with the download that I paid for.

And please note that I did not select the Free Trial version.

It wasn't a huge problem and it did uninstall without any issues but I only noticed it after I rebooted the machine to try out the app.

The bundled software was ModernMix and it popped right up when I got to my Home Page.  Arghh.  I unchecked the box during the install but alas, something crept in somewhere. 

I've performed quite a few download / install apps exercises (esp. since joining BC) and this one was a bit complicated and clunky (write down your Activation Key as soon as they give it to you!) although I'm also very happy to report that the app itself - Stardock Start8 - works like a charm and instantly made the laptop easier to navigate.   :thumbup2:

So there you go: the Good, the Bad and the Update.

Winterland

#6 eriktheready

eriktheready
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 03:47 PM

It is all well and good that there are people making the bits that MS thought were obsolete and so they left them out of Win8. 

I just wish they would make their own version of the Start menu, Image resizer and Win Picture viewer (and probably a few other things) that look and feel like the old Win7 / XP. surely they could have kept the same interfaces available with the more up to date Win8 features instead of forcing people to use generic software - no matter how good that generic stuff is!

The new-look Win8 really is a dramatic departure for those of us who prefer a desk-top or normal laptop or who cannot afford equipment with the latest touch technology.

I think I tend to agree with those people who have condemned MS for making this new version so much harder to change to. I have read that it has completely immobilised some business environments with people in tears of frustration and taking ages to get anywhere near their normal productivity levels.

Win 8 is fast and does a lot of things better but it is turning old friends into resentful users - many feeling that they are stuck with something that does not live up to expectation.

Erik

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:47 PM

some bundled software did get attached and installed with the download that I paid for.

I don't think you bought just Start8 but Object Desktop rather which includes ModernMix

When I installed Start8 there were no extras.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#8 jmtjet

jmtjet

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:26 PM

I've been using Classic shell for a while now with no problems what-so-ever. It give you back your start button, complete with everything you had with Windows 7.

http://www.classicshell.net/

#9 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:25 AM

@eriktheready - I agree with everything you've said. This was my first exposure to Windows 8 and, hopefully, will be the only time I need to work with it. I'm always glad to work with anything new but if something doesn't work well, I'm also open to the fact that some of the responsibility might also belong to the designers as well.

There is so much dialogue with regards to this OS, I'm just grateful I'm still over here on my Win7 machine zipping along.

@Broni - read your post and thought, "oh no, did I actually purchase the $49.99 app?!?" Just logged into my email to check my receipt...was it $4.99 or $49.99?

*whew*  it was only the Start8 $4.99 app, which of course makes it awkwardly likely that the bundled software was installed by me by mistake... :whistle:

I'll still stand by my statement that it's a clunky install but as for the rest of it...well, it might be, as the kids say, mea culpa

@jmtjet - thanks for the link and the feedback. I'm used to free apps that work well but there is *so much* hand wringing going on over this Win8 Start Menu I thought it best to just go ahead and pay for an app that appears well supported and, of course, was recommended by Broni.

Appreciate everyone checking in on this.

Have a great day.

Winterland

#10 eriktheready

eriktheready
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:28 AM

I am using the free Classic shell start menu and it does what it is meant to do but I resent the fact that MS did not build the option into Win8 themselves. They would have saved themselves an awful lot of censure and hung onto a lot of customers who have now sworn off their systems - and even if they come back those loyal MS users will still feel let down and resentful.

They could have left a lot of Win7 type user interfaces available as options and kept many people happy.

And here in S Africa we are just a tad behind the curve on new s/ware and other stuff and there was no warning as to just how different W8 would be. Fortunately I had the people I bought the OS from install it for me and they asked me if I wanted classic start or I would have been truly buggered and lost without it. I find it is not only people of my generation who are frustrated by W8 but lots of people 30 - 40 years my junior too.

A friend - also 66 - has been battling for several months since he bought W8 and about ten days ago he dropped in for coffee and I told him about the classic start and he is over the moon happy - so you get no warning that it is such a radical departure from what we are used to.

But I am grateful for the help and advice that this forum provides.

Cheers and all the best to all of you

Erik

#11 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:22 AM

I am using the free Classic shell start menu and it does what it is meant to do but I resent the fact that MS did not build the option into Win8 themselves. They would have saved themselves an awful lot of censure and hung onto a lot of customers who have now sworn off their systems - and even if they come back those loyal MS users will still feel let down and resentful.

Hi Erik,

Let us know what you think about ReviverSoft's Start Menu Reviver. 

The app combines Windows 8's Metro interface and vision with a fully functional and customizable Start Menu for your Windows 8 Desktop.

We believe this app comes close to what Microsoft could have considered including in Windows 8 :)

Cheers

Edited by ReviverSoft, 12 June 2013 - 08:24 AM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#12 Chuts

Chuts

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:54 PM

Too late for those who already paid ... but there are two free ways to get back the Start button.  Classic Shell mentioned above and the one by iObit who makes the free Advanced System Care,  which everyone should also be using. 

#13 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:36 PM

1. iObit products should be ignored by honest computer users due to their case of stealing data from Malwarebytes: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=33217

2. Advanced System Care shouldn't be used for one more reason...

Registry cleaners/optimizers are not recommended for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes.  If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#14 eriktheready

eriktheready
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:45 AM

I installed the ReviverSoft start menu and so far I love it. It seems to be waaay better than classic shell and I get the option of using the Win8 tiles or the start menu.

On the subject of Registry programs - someone suggested it to me a long time ago and I have tried it twice, I think, and both times felt that I was losing control.

After some research and what Broni has referred us to in his post I will stay away from them

Erik

#15 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:01 PM

I've never seen any evidence that Stardock's products, including Start8 contain any junkware, and I've installed it for a few customers. All the same, I really don't see why so many people cry about the Win8 interface. Users running most standard Windows software don't see the Metro interface very often at all i understand that a lot of users can't deal well with any level of change, but the Win8 desktop isn't all that much different from Win7. You can still pin programs to the taskbar, or launch programs by pressing the Windows key and typing a short string of the program's name. You can still access Computer with 2 mouse clicks, so I don't understand why this seems difficult.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users