Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing New Hd Before Ghosting Old, Dying Hd

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 rch427

rch427

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 13 April 2006 - 02:37 PM

I have a PIII desktop running XP Pro, that had a SMART disk failure. I got a good, used 160gig HD with XP Pro already installed on it, and I'm wondering what I need to do to install it and ghost (or whatever) all of the files over from my old, dying HD. I've replaced HDs before, but never with the intention of leaving the old HD in the case and transferring everything over. Can anyone talk me through the process? I'm reasonably handy, but I'm a little out of my depth with this project.

Thanks in advance --

Robert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 13 April 2006 - 04:16 PM

I would suggest that you might want to reformat that HD that you just bought because the drivers and everything that are installed on that HD has a good chance of not being the right ones for your computer.

For the copying of files... you could hook up both hard drivers and just use Explorer to copy and paste the files from one hard drive to the other.

#3 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2006 - 07:21 PM

Since you are reformatting the 160GB drive and reinstalling XP on it, be sure to set its jumper to the 'master' position. Be sure to have all the necessary drivers for sound, video, ethernet, etc., beforehand. They are best burned onto a CD for easy access later on.

When XP is up and running, shut down, set the jumper of the old drive to 'slave' and plug in a power cable and the ribbon cable that is also going to the new drive. The old disk will show up in XP as a new disk, probably "D:".Some PC manufacturers 'cheap out' and save 25c by installing an IDE ribbon cable that has only 2 connectors. Make sure that you have a 3 connector cable (one connector for the motherboard and two for the 2 hard drives).

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 14 April 2006 - 12:04 AM

One thing to add about the IDE cable, the middle connector should be used for the slave drive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 06:56 AM

well, do as you want, but listen to me first please if you want it to work again :thumbsup: . when you install your new drive in (160g), for now leave your "bad" one out. im going to assume that you didnt install xp pro on the 160 drive while it was in the p3. if this is the case, this is important because you may be switching to different chipsets, and certainly have different drivers. so when you get it installed, make sure you bootinto safe mode and not normal mode initially, this will give your computer a chance to boot with a minimal set of drivers and hope it wont crash trying to cope with the major change. after in safe mode, remove some of the drivers you dont need, ex:audio,video. then reboot into normal mode, this seriously makes a difference in attempting to switch platforms.
now you have a p3 do you? i doubt you will be able to install a 160 gig drive into it. you will most likely have to "clip" the drive and run dynamic disk overlay on it and the computer to recognise the drive in its entirety. in this case you will have to reformat thr drive, for DDO, you will know right away.
next, if you get the drive installed , you have a couple of options, first turn off s.m.a.r.t. in your bios, make sure no matter which way u go, u dont put the 2 drives on the same controller if you r duin data transfer, u have 2 hdd controllers, use them.. one way is to create a small partition on the 160 g hdd, boot into ghost, do a "partition to partition" data transfer. from old drive to new partition u just made.
another thing u can do is use explorer (as suggested), making sure 2 drives r not on the same controller, or you can use a bootable OS, like "knoppix", or "windows PE" or something, there is lots, to transfer data from 1 drive to another.
lots to read, lots to think about, remember, when it comes to data recovery, there is no such thing as too much redundancy. hope it helped, post back with any questions.

Edited by Snapper, 14 April 2006 - 06:57 AM.

Google...Google.....browse..read

#6 rch427

rch427
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 06:56 PM

Thanks, all, for the advice.

First, I should point out that I'm not reformatting the new disk, nor am I doing a fresh OS installation. I bought my computer used, on eBay, so I didn't get an XP installation disk with it. I specifically bought this HD because it came with XP already installed on it. Hopefully, I can get it to work with my computer.

Nor do I have most of the drivers I'll need on CDs already, but I do have my wife's computer right next to it, so I can either download and burn drivers to a CD-R or (once I get the network driver installed) be able to access the other drivers through the LAN. Right? Most of the software that I had on the old disk, I DO have the CDs for, so I don't care about losing that off the old disk. It's mostly just my old files that I want to recover.

I'm a little confused about why this HD might not work with my P3. Why is that? If it's any use to know, the HD is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7

Snapper--how will I "know right away" if I'll have to reformat the new HD?

#7 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 07:29 AM

i was talking about dynamic disk overlay software. explaining now>your motherboard has a ceiling. it has limits for cpu freq, hdd size, ram size and freq. It is possible your p3 wont be able to see/see all of the 160 gig in your new drive. it may be larger then the motherboards capacity. ok, now saying this, you can go to the hdd manufacturer, and they offer overlay software. explaining now>you boot into the floppy or cd that you dl from the hdd site, it looks at your comp, and hdd, and installs software on the boot sector of the hdd, so, when you boot to the hdd, this software (DDO), loads first, and kinda tricks/forces the motherboard into recongizing the size of the hdd. it is a bit tricky to do, but , if your computer sees a 4 gig drive, but it is really a 160gig drive, you will wanna do this.>>>>>>>>>>>>.SO, if you have to do this, (DDO), you will have to format your hdd, because the DDO software is installed and configured at sector 0 on your hdd.

ok, for the files, just boot into safe mode, and explor into your old drive. copy n paste em to your new one.
i hope you can see your old drive in your computer, if you had smart error, your bios may not be able to read it, so your os wont either, turn off smart, just to do your data transfer at least.

post back if ya need more clarification,
dave

#8 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 15 April 2006 - 08:15 AM

I was talking about dynamic disk overlay software. explaining now>your motherboard has a ceiling. it has limits for cpu freq, hdd size, ram size and freq. It is possible your p3 wont be able to see/see all of the 160 gig in your new drive. it may be larger then the motherboards capacity. ok, now saying this, you can go to the hdd manufacturer, and they offer overlay software.

You would be far better off by 1st checking your computer system manufacturers website for a bios update to address that issue. If they have nothing, a HD controller card would be a better option then using overlay software in my "personal' opinion. :thumbsup:
A HD controller card will also give you future expandability if you ever want to add more drives. And when the PIII dies, keep the card and move it to your new system.

Edited by HitSquad, 15 April 2006 - 08:21 AM.

#9 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 03:46 PM

well, i will agree to check for a bios update, albeit i still doubt you will be able to see 160 gig, but, then again you may. as far as a pci ide controller goes, that is an added expense and another piece of hardware that could affect your booting should someting go wrong. i dont recommend a pci ide controller to house your boot disk. that can be however an option, and hitsquad's opinion is not wrong, just different.

#10 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 07:22 PM

I prefer the approach with the IDE controlelr card myself >>>> yes its an added $40.00

but I would not use DDO no matter what !! If you ever need to use partition or data recovery software to fix a messed up boot disk you would be guaranteed screwed !!

Poster above is 100% correct >>>> a P3 capable motherboard is not going to get by the 127gig bios barrier not matter what >>>> the 127gig barrier was not addressed until 2003 >>>>> long after support for P3 boards were ending

and that copy of win xp aint gonna get you far either !!!! sorry to rain on your parade >>>>> The existign copy of the OS is going to freak when the completely different HAL is found (Hardware Abstract Layer) and BSOD

the way around that is a REPAIR install >>>> however activation will be required after perfroming the repair install >>>>> but esentially the reapir install strips away all old drivers without data or program loss >>> then when you reboot you must reinstall all drivers including and especailly the motherboard chipset drivers

sorry for the spelling >>>> rotten typist

#11 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 07:25 PM

essentially what you are doing as far as Win XP and miscrosoft are concerned is a motherboard swap

http://motherboard.windowsreinstall.com/

just like prego >>>> its all here

#12 rch427

rch427
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 08:09 PM

OK--first, I must apologize for giving some mistaken information, which has unintentionally led on a wild goose chase. The CPU on my computer is actually a P4, NOT a P3. I had confused it with the computer I had (until recently) used for about 5 years. That, and some serious brain-fade. So let me reiterate: the computer in question is an Intel D850MV, with a P4 processor.

I actually bought two slightly different Seagate Barracuda HDDs--one of 160gb, the other of 120gb, intending to use the larger one in my computer, and the smaller one in my wife's HP Pavilion desktop (also P4).

So, with that in mind, I tried to swap HDDs, first using the larger HDD. However, when I tried to boot into Safe Mode, here's what happens:

The first time I try to boot, I get a very brief system description (too short to read), then a few seconds pause with a blinking bar, then the message "Boot Failure: System Halted". When I press ctrl+alt+del, it reboots, this time showing the video card info first, then a split-second of the system description, and then the message "A disk read error occurred / Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart".

The green LED on the mobo is lit up. The old HDD is out, and the new one is properly jumper-cabled to the mobo, and it has power. The pins on the back of the HDD are jumpered to the "master" setting. There's no disk in the floppy drive. I tried swapping out HDDs and using the 120gb drive, but that one doesn't do anything beyond the flashing bar; not even an error message.

I am stumped.

Is there some way I can tell if the drives or the mobo is at fault? It seems extremely unlikely to me that both of the replacement drives could be bad. But the only thing that seemed to be wrong with the old HDD was that it had a SMART failure; no indication of anything being wrong with the mobo or CPU.

Any ideas? I'd really like to try to fix this thing myself, rather than bringing in a tech again; I really can't afford to go through that right now. Any advice would be appreciated. And I'm sorry again about the misinformation about the CPU.

#13 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2006 - 06:41 AM

lol, does the bios see the drive? make sure the bios setting for that ide controller is set to auto, and not a specified user setting.
on my earlier posts, i didnt get to the last sticky part, which was addressed above, about activation. unless you have a corporate version of windows, you will be asked to activate again. i do hope you got hte sticker from the guy you got the drive from, or, reformat.
not alot of people like ddo software i can see from here, lol, i have used it over the last few years, and let me tell ya, its the only good way i know of that i can put a 160g hdd in a p-2!! lol
but you can use recovery software on it once it has DDO on a drive, just to clear the air and defend poor old defenseless DDO. ive used it.

#14 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2006 - 08:21 AM

Snapper is 100% correct >>>> recovery software will work to some degree depending on the individual circumstance >>>>> but if you read the recovery software companys info they usually put in a warning that it may not work well???? I have tried it on two customers drive that didnt want to spend the money for the PCI slot IDE controller card >>>> one drive recovetred about 75% of its contents the other maybeeeee 30% if thats success ???? then so be it ! LOL i dont shell out money any more wrecklessly than the next but DDO and I have permanently parted ways >>>>> BTW how about cloning drives that use DDO ???? and partition adjusting programs ?>????

but >>> lets stay on track >>>> the P4 mobo will of course support 48bit LBA (larger drives than 127gig) and you will need win xp service Pack 1 or higher to see drives larger than 137 gig ?????

and you wont be able to boot in winxp with such a drastic hardware change >>> as predicted above the HAL will cause an auto Halt >>> shut down >>>>> press any key to restart LOL

I think you got snuckered on the drive with XP installed >>>>> without the serial key >>>> but even with the serial key >>>> I would love to hear that explaination to why you need a new activation code to the Winhoes rep ????? as they are looking for what triggered the HAL grenade ?????? Pirates on the perimeter!! >>> Sir: :thumbsup:

BTW >>>> I am not making poking at you >>> I am making light of the efforts we ALL will expend circumventing buying another copy of the winhoes OS

goodluck >>>>>

Edited by linderman, 16 April 2006 - 08:27 AM.

#15 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 16 April 2006 - 12:07 PM

Buying a drive with XP installed on it does not transfer the license for XP, especially if the license was oem (installed by the computer manufacturer and not from a retail version of XP).

You will have to validate if you ever get it running. You may be able to use the 25 digit key number of your original installation along with a lot of explanation to the Microsoft Validation rep, and seeing that (once you get it set up and running XP if you can at all) the motherboard and other components will be the same as the original oem install on your computer you may be successful at revalidation.

You still have to deal with the problems discussed in earlier posts.

The way to check the hard drives themselves would be to install them in your wife's computer as slave drives. If they are recognized and you can open files on them using Windows Explorer (or create files on them) using any ap on your wife's computer they are working.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users