Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hard drives

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

HI,I have a DELL E521,can i take and put a HD from a GATEWAY GT 4010 in it i know the connections

are different is there a adapter that i can use.

The HD out of the GATEWAY GT 4010 is a WD is a MDL WD2000BB-OO KEAD 40PIN CONN,thanks.

I have a external hard drive can that be used to download whats on the WD internal hard drive.

Edited by LOVEMYPC, 02 June 2013 - 01:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:23 PM

In theory, you should be able to use the old drive with the Dell. As you noted, you will likely need a IDE/ATA to SATA adapter as it appears the old WD drive is an IDE/ATA drive. You may also be able to get a IDE/ATA expansion card.

You could also either put it in an external USB enclosure or use a universal drive adapter to connect it to the Dell as an external drive.

Personally, I am not sure how much I would trust a drive that is likely pretty old. If you do use it on a regular basis, make sure you back it up.

#3 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:41 PM

HI,smax013, I WANTED JUST OFF LOAD EVERYTHING THAT IS ON IT AS I THINK IT IS TOAST,BUT I AM hoping i can as there are somethings on it i want save thanks for the info.

#4 Nanofox

Nanofox

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:04 PM

HI,smax013, I WANTED JUST OFF LOAD EVERYTHING THAT IS ON IT AS I THINK IT IS TOAST,BUT I AM hoping i can as there are somethings on it i want save thanks for the info.

I just bought something for a similar problem: APRICORN ADW-USB-KIT IDE/PATA/SATA to USB HDD Adapter

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812161002

This item allows you to use an internal hard drive as if it was an external drive. This adapter is supposed to be universal. You must remove the hard drive from it’s casing. For me I had to expose the pins of the hard drive in a way that it would not likely ever be able to be put back into the computer it came from. If you just want the data and don’t plan of using the hard drive long term this works very well.

It worked great on getting the data off a computer that has been dead for almost 10 years.

#5 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:33 PM

HI,nanofox,That is what i would like to do.

The pins you were talking about where were they located on HDD,my HDD is already out of PC,THANKS

If i use this tool could i do a partition and put whats on HDD in that new partition and if it does work would i be in what would be called dual boot configuration,thanks

Edited by LOVEMYPC, 03 June 2013 - 02:53 PM.

#6 Nanofox

Nanofox

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:42 PM

HI,nanofox,That is what i would like to do.

The pins you were talking about where were they located on HDD,my HDD is already out of PC,THANKS

Laptop%20Hard%20Drive%20Replacement%20-%

It should look something like this. You will need to slide that plastic piece off, very carefully. The pins are very delicate and if you bend them or break them you might never get the drive to work again.

Without the Plastic it should look like this:

NBHD-IDE-Connector.jpg

Edited by Nanofox, 03 June 2013 - 02:49 PM.

#7 Nanofox

Nanofox

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:43 PM

Leave the cover on the Hard drive to protect it until you are ready for the transfer.

#8 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:18 PM

my HDD does not extend like that it is buried inside plastic and it also looks like it is all in one piece so i

do not think i can take off without destroying it totally if you have a chance to see a WD HDD you see how this is different,but what 

posted should work,thanks

#9 vijay.seo

vijay.seo

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:58 AM

WD Hard Drive - Western Digital 500GB Notebook Hard Disk Drive.

Instantaneously protects the hard drive against damage from bumps and vibrations while it is running. This technology enables WD drives to achieve industry-leading shock specifications.

#10 Nanofox

Nanofox

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:15 AM

If you order the Adapter wait until you get it to remove anything. You might not have to destroy the hard drive. That plastic piece is removable; also I suppose you might be able to find something like an extension cable to use between the pins and the adapter if it doesn’t fit properly without disassembling the drive.

#11 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:18 PM

HI,I just got a ULTRA USB 2.0 TO IDE/SATA CABLE ADAPTER and hooked it up to my DELL E521,WENT INTO MY COMPUTER and it pulled up the GATEWAY HDD and to my surprise it said it was healthy,now what i would like to do is install it into the DELL E521 and use as a second HDD and as what was said this an old HDD.

What i thought about doing is get a bigger HDD partition if off and transfer everything to it from the GATEWAY to the new HDD,but if i am not mistaken the WINXP on the GATEWAY will not go with it but since i have WINXP on the DELL E521 that should allow me to get into the data on the GATEWAY is my thinking on this right.

I think the only thing i need is the right cables & connections,there are a lot of youtube videos on how to possibly do this just have hunt for the right video,any thoughts would be appreciated,thanks.  

#12 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:23 PM

HI,I got my IDE/SATA ADAPTER have installed,but i have not got it to show in disk management yet.

Went into youtube and there were several videos showing that i may need to go into setup and add a second boot

device so second HDD shows up as a secondary HDD would this be the way to get the second HDD to show up in

disk management,thank you

#13 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:15 PM

HI,I went into system info. and found some primary&secondary IDE listings does this DELL E521 have any IDE controllers in the system at all,thanks

#14 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:21 AM

HI,Nanofox, I looked around in disk management and this is what came up with 2 question marks on each one.

(1) serial cable using IfDa  protocol.

(2) Adapter AHA-151X/AHA-152 OR AIC-6260/AIC6360 SCSI HOST ADAPTER(non pnp).

I know i am missing really simple that need to do like a dual boot type of scenario just what i do not just yet.

When i put that adapter on end of hard drive i had lay side panel down and with a couple big files to raise it

off the table top i used a flat punch and put a dimple in side panel to get clearance between panel and adapter

#15 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:23 PM

HI,I have a 40pin female IDE to SATA converter installed in the DELL E521,just checked the HDD and is spinning and
it came out of a GATEWAY GT4010 also has winxp installed.
I have 2 question marks in device manager that appears to pertain to this HDD.
I am at a lost as to why i can not get HDD to show up as 2nd drive in PC,but it showed up when used my USB ADAPTER
2.0 TO IDE/SATA ADAPTER,any thoughts would be appreciated.
It probably is something really simple,thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users