Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard typing random letters and numbers

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 senkaxx

senkaxx

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

Out of the blue my keyboard started to type random characters. For example when I press "g", it shows up as "gh", when I press "e", it shows up as "eruqw" etc.

Have already tried changing keyboard and language settings, turned off sticky keys, reinstalled the driver, but so far it's still not working.

However the keyboard worked fine on another computer. 
Therefore doubt a new keyboard would fix it, seeing as it seems to be computer's problem.

Any ideas on what's causing it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AdagioBoognish

AdagioBoognish

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:49 PM

What brand of keyboard are you using? On my keyboard there is a mode key marked with an Fmode (in blue font). Other manufacturers may have something different, like fn. You may have hit this button, which changes what other keys output. If you can find your Mode button try playing with that. On my board if you press Fmode+F11 it will change make the keys behave similar to what you're describing. 

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:47 PM

Out of the blue my keyboard started to type random characters. For example when I press "g", it shows up as "gh", when I press "e", it shows up as "eruqw" etc.[/size]

Have already tried changing keyboard and language settings, turned off sticky keys, reinstalled the driver, but so far it's still not working.[/size]

However the keyboard worked fine on another computer. [/size]
Therefore doubt a new keyboard would fix it, seeing as it seems to be computer's problem.[/size]

Any ideas on what's causing it?[/size]

Do you have a spare keyboard sitting around to try on the problem computer? Or can you borrow one from a friend?

While I agree it seems like it is not a problem with the keyboard, it might still be good to test a different keyboard on the problematic computer.

Also, have you tried booting into Safe Mode to see if the keyboard behaves better there?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users