Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer + IE Options Issues / Inetcpl.cpl Error / Skype Error

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Phaled

Phaled

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:20 AM

Hey,

Got this posted on a few other forums, so i'll just copy + paste it and list what i've tried so far.

SUMMARY OF PROBLEMS

UPDATE: The main problem at the moment seems to be linked with the Inetcpl.cpl in C:\Windows\System32

- Cannot open Internet Explorer: When I open IE 9, the process appears, and internet explorer starts up. As soon as the tab for my homepage loads, IE closes straight away, and leaves behind the download manager for IE, asking me if i want to download my homepage.

- Cannot open Internet Options through control panel: When i go to Control Panel > Networking > Internet Options and click on it, nothing appears on screen, no matter how many times i press it. Same thing happens with IE > Tools > Options; nothing appears

- Cannot open Skype (I found this was linked to the IE problems): When I open Skype, the login page stays on a white screen, and i am unable to click anywhere on skype / close it, I have to force close it by ending the process (Temporary solution found, look below)

- Cumulative Security Update for IE 9 won't install (Windows Update): This has been an on-going problem for around a year+ now, but still relevant. Whenever my Windows Update has a Cumulative Security Update for IE 9, I try to install it, however it fails and says updates were not configured correctly, reverting changes The error code I get is: 800719E4. As far as I am aware, there is no solution to this error as of yet.

WHAT I HAVE CURRENTLY TRIED

1. Uninstalling Internet Explorer 9 and reinstalling (get an error message on uninstalling: updates were not configured correctly, reverting changes)
2. Trying an sfc /scannow through cmd - it found a few corrupt files and fixed them but didn't solve the problem.
3. Booting up IE from a fresh boot with no network connection - can open it but can't access tools > internet options
4. Booted in safe mode and safe mode with networking to try and access the control panel internet options / IE > tools > options, but didn't work.
5. Tried running Inetcpl.cpl, nothing opened.
6. Went to the microsoft help page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 
and downloaded the reset internet explorer fix, when it was attempting to fix the problem, i got the error: Error loading inetcpl.cpl. The Operating system cannot run %1
7. [Skype related] Tried deleting shared.xml file in %appdata% > Skype, however that didn't work
8. Tried straight up installing a previous version of IE (IE 8) but it doesn't let you install a previous version of IE if you already have the most recent one (And i'm unable to uninstall the current version of IE)
9. Tried editing the registry key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions and deleting NoBrowserOptions but the entry Internet Explorer  does not exist
10. Tried running IE without extentions: iexplore -extoff

PROBLEMS / FIXES

1. Fixed Skype temporarily by creating a shortcut of the original Skype, and changing the target to "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /legacylogin - allowing me to log in and use skype
2. Did a few indepth antivirus scans and found a Trojan.Vundo in the Internet Explorer Registry file: HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{56256A51-B582-467e-B8D4-7786EDA79AE0} However, after removing it, IE still didn't work.

Other Info / specs

- Running a 32 bit OS + 32 bit IE
- Using IE 9
- Fully patched Windows (All windows updates complete aside from IE Cumlative Security updates)
- Running Service Pack 2

Edit: Moved from Vista to a more appropriate forum.
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 02 June 2013 - 01:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phaled

Phaled
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:16 PM

I know it's not a virus problem, I have a clean system at the moment, I think it'll be more appropriate in the Vista forum

#3 wIsiwYg

wIsiwYg

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:41 PM

I'm seeing the exact same thing with a friend's Vista PC that I've been trying to fix.  I already de-loused it from some malware (including the StartNow toolbar), but nothing I've tried has gotten IE to function properly.  De-installing IE9 fails, as does just about every Fixit from MS or other solution from elsewhere on the Internet.  I've psychologically prepared my friend to wipe the drive, but it would be nice to see if anyone out there has some fresh insight.  Windows Medkit http://www.zeroideas.net/WinMedkit/Index.html (which was mentioned in one posting somewhere) looked to be the most promising, but also didn't get it fixed.

#4 wIsiwYg

wIsiwYg

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

Just a follow-up:  It looks as though some Microsoft Updates actually made this happen.  See http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie9-windows_vista/the-ordinal-573-could-not-be-located-in-the/848170de-a044-4393-920a-ff81f20f3043 (specifically the solution proposed by DBMacnee).  I uninstalled KB2820197 & KB2847204, rebooted, and the Internet Control Panel reappeared.  IE seems to be functioning normally now as well!

#5 Phaled

Phaled
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:15 PM

Cheers buddy, i'll give that a try now and get back to you

EDIT: Yeah, that worked :) Cheers pal.

Edited by Phaled, 07 June 2013 - 09:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users