Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Considering a factory reinstall... is this wise?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Emankcin

Emankcin

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:24 AM

I had recovered from Zeroaccess trojan, but the damage left behind afterwards between it, norton, and some of the cleaner tools, has more or less screwed a few programs. I thought reinstalling might work, but that does not fix anything. So, I was considering backing my data, and doing a factory reinstall. Is this a good idea? Or are there any other solutions? Registry cleaner or something? One of the problems is my Fallout New Vegas game giving this whenever I try to launch it: Application load error 5:0000065434. According to the fallout forums, this error is caused by a registry error, and a registry repair tool might fix it. Rather than venturing out on my own, I thought I should ask the experts first. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:50 AM

Hi

I read your previous topic in Malware removal logs section. According to the logs, your system is clean from the infection now. But it seems the damage done by the infection remains. If you had a Win 7 machine, you could do a repair install instead of formatting. But that didn't work with Windows 8. There are two new recovery options named Refresh and Reset. Refreshing won't preserve your non metro apps and reset is identical to formatting the C drive.  So both are not much useful. Using registry repairing tools may make the problem worse. So in my opinion, restoring to factory defaults is the best route to go. 

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:13 AM

Hi,

Not to mention the Bleeping Computer point of view as regards Registry tools.

Do not forget to make a backup of any data you would hate to lose.

Registry Cleaner & Repair
Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes.  If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Emankcin

Emankcin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:40 AM

So... it looks like we might be going with a factory reset. Now... I can't remember all the steps to go about this, I've only seen it once, when I first got the computer. Backing up will not be a problem. I am about 90% backed up already.

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:59 AM

Hi

Please post the exact make and model of your system. Recovery options are not unique in laptops. If you post the model number, we can refer the user manual to find out the factory restore options.

#6 Emankcin

Emankcin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:04 PM

Sure thing. It's a Toshiba (By the way, how you know I rocking a laptop? I don't remember mentioning that... LOL) ...Anyway, I digress. It's a Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5320.

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:46 PM

Hi

Here is the user manual of your model - http://support.toshiba.com/support/staticContentDetail?contentId=3477465&isFromTOCLink=false

Refer page 54 which describes all the available recovery options.

#8 Emankcin

Emankcin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:02 PM

Thank you. Gonna try a refresh first. The last of the back-up is coming in now!

#9 Emankcin

Emankcin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:34 AM

There was a refresh option, so I went with that one first. So far, so good. I think it restored me to working order. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users