Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Friend's computer keeps looking for Missing Hard drive when updating

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Grech

Grech

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:34 AM

My friend got a computer from another friend.  It looks like that there were two hard drives in it but when she got it, it only had one.  When she tries to update Adobe Flash or whatever it keeps trying to download to Z (missing drive) and then it aborts the whole thing.  She has a Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit.  How do I make the computer "forget" it had a drive Z?  I think the Download folder is also set to Z.  Also it appears that programs were installed onto Z and the entries cannot be removed since the Z drive is not there.

Thanks for any help

Edited by Grech, 02 June 2013 - 01:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:53 AM

Please post the browsers being used when downloading as there is a function to choose where to save files usually on the Tools Menu and General tab.

MO9ULXm.jpg

This image setting is for Mozilla Firefox.

Tekken

#3 aQuilla

aQuilla

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:49 AM

Since that computer is your friend's now, the best thing to do is to have a clean install of a new OS. I don't think that your friend would need the files that were already there in that computer so reformatting that computer makes it officially your friend's computer and he will no longer deal with such problems. :D

#4 Grech

Grech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:16 PM

Okay Jhaz I did what you sugguested. The problem pesists.  There are games that we can't uninstall or play because they were on the Z drive when it was removed.  I am hoping not to have to reinstall windows.  The error in question is Error 1327<--I noticed I put the numbers in the wrong order.. I fixed it.

Edited by Grech, 02 June 2013 - 05:38 PM.

#5 Grech

Grech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:28 PM

It's firefox that is being used

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:10 AM

It's firefox that is being used

Did you try post#2?

The error in question is Error 1327

How to create a backup and restore in windows 7

http://www.ehow.com/how_7802345_fix-error-1327-g.html

Tekken

#7 Grech

Grech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:13 AM

Yes I did try post 2 and it did not work for Flash player it still looks for drive Z. 

I will try the backup and restore tool in the morning after I've had some rest

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:38 AM

Hi

You can also try resetting Firfox

1. At the top of the Firefox window, click the Help menu and select Troubleshooting Information. 2012-10-25-07-52-52-99e427.png
  2. Click the Reset Firefox button in the upper-right corner of the Troubleshooting Information page. 2012-10-25-07-54-49-dc894e.png
  3. To continue, click Reset Firefox in the confirmation window that opens.
  4. Firefox will close and be reset. When it's done, a window will list the information that was imported. Click Finish and Firefox will open.

#9 Grech

Grech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:54 AM

will resetting firefox destroy bookmarks?

#10 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:27 AM

Hi

Yes, resetting will destroy the bookmarks. But you can save the bookmarks and restore them after resetting.

Export bookmarks - http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/export-firefox-bookmarks-to-backup-or-transfer

Import the bookmarks -  http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/import-bookmarks-html

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:27 PM

Yes I did try post 2 and it did not work for Flash player it still looks for drive Z.

Installed files are usually stored on the system drive © - Program Files folder whether they are being updated and replaced by a newer version during installation setup. All downloads can be redirected to a new/old folder by following the dialogue box and setting it to a different drive or location. The 'ask where to save' option is one typical example of such function although this may not apply to the error being shown. The games setup and profiles (admittedly not a PC gamer but from what I know) which usually take up space may have reflected how this PC is setup to accomodate more room so reinstalling the softwares to the system drive or as already suggested making a ODS reinstall would clean the system of any errors.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users