Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I use my Data (D:) drive?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lscha

Lscha

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:13 PM

I have 9 GB left out of 149 GB on my C: drive. Data (D:) has 424 of 425 GB free. Will I damage anything if I move my photos to the D: drive? If I can do that, will my computer run better with more space on the C: drive?

I really don't want to delete the D: to add to the C: drive if I don't have to. I am a photographer and just need more space for my photos and editing programs. I wouldn't move programs, just photos.

Thanks

Laura

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:25 PM

Hi

Moving photos to the D drive won't do any harm to your system. Freeing C drive will definitely improve the system performance. To improve the overall responsiveness of the system, follow the below steps.

- Move all data including photos and videos to the D drive .

- Download and run Temp File Cleaner from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/tfc/

1. Close ALL running applications as TFC will terminate them before attempting to clean up the temporary files.
  2. Double-click on the TFC icon.
  3. When the program starts, click on the Start button.  TFC will terminate the Explorer process and all running applications and then begin the process of cleaning out all of your temp folders.
  4. When done, press OK to reboot your computer and finish the cleanup.

- Defragment your C drive

Read the instructions in the below link to know how to properly defrag your OS drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11733-disk-defragmenter-open-use.html

Another important thing you should do is Backup all photos to an external medium regularly. Hard disk failures are very common in today's systems so backing up the data is very important. Buy an external HDD and keep a copy of all your photos in it. You don't want to loose all your work in the event of a catastrophic hard disk failure. 

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 01 June 2013 - 11:29 PM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:25 AM

A side note... 

If the hdd is a SSD you should not defragment the drive.  Defragmenting a HDD or SSD results in tons of write accesses which can reduce the lifespan of either type, but this is especially true with SSDs.

For more information on this subject there is a good article which can be found here .

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users