Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High CPU usage

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bubblegirl

Bubblegirl

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:31 PM

How do I fix this? It's slowly fluctuating from 20% to 80-90%. I don't think I have a virus or malware. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,386 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:55 PM

What makes you think that's abnormal...and exactly what are you looking at...when you cite these figures?

What applications are running?

CPUs...are supposed to reflect higher CPU usage when asked to do certain tasks.

What processes in Task Manager...reflect high usage?

Louis

#3 Bubblegirl

Bubblegirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:25 PM

Both svchost.exe and chrome.exe processes. I know that's normal for chrome but I don't know about the other one. 

Edited by Bubblegirl, 01 June 2013 - 07:44 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:42 AM

The following is an excerpt from a very good article on the subject which can be found here.

So What Is It?

According to Microsoft: “svchost.exe is a generic host process name for services that run from dynamic-link libraries”. Could we have that in english please?

Some time ago, Microsoft started moving all of the functionality from internal Windows services into .dll files instead of .exe files. From a programming perspective this makes more sense for reusability… but the problem is that you can’t launch a .dll file directly from Windows, it has to be loaded up from a running executable (.exe). Thus the svchost.exe process was born.

Why Are There So Many svchost.exes Running?

If you’ve ever taken a look at the Services section in control panel you might notice that there are a Lot of services required by Windows. If every single service ran under a single svchost.exe instance, a failure in one might bring down all of Windows… so they are separated out.

Those services are organized into logical groups, and then a single svchost.exe instance is created for each group. For instance, one svchost.exe instance runs the 3 services related to the firewall. Another svchost.exe instance might run all the services related to the user interface, and so on.

This article goes on to explain in more detail which services are being started through svchost.exe and how to determine which one can be disabled and how to do it.

Edited by dc3, 02 June 2013 - 09:50 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users