Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer monitored?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 amir5914

amir5914

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:25 PM

Hello,

I recently divorced my wife and I am almost 100 % sure that my laptop is being monitored by her somehow. What kind I do to remove/prevent this problem. I also would like to get feedback as to what antivirus program should I install because I do not have any at the moment. Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:51 PM

Do a clean install...that would take care of any suspicion of monitoring by anyone, IMO.

Louis

#3 amir5914

amir5914
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:58 PM

Ok I know Im going to sound really stupid but I don't even know how to do that.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,730 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:51 PM

We can remedy that :)...and it's not an indication of stupidity when someone doesn't know how to those things which...they have never done before :).

Can you provide the specific manufacturer and model for your laptop?

Do you have any disks that came with it...or which you were supposed to make once you had it set up at your home?

Louis

#5 Phaled

Phaled

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:15 PM

Before jumping ahead with a clean install of Vista, it would be much easier to see if there is actually anything on there.

1. Go to Start Control Panel Programs Uninstall a Program. From here you can see all the programs that have been installed on your computer, if you can make a note of these and list all the installed programs on this thread, we'll be able to see if there is anything monitoring your computer.

2. Turn your computer on from a fresh boot and make sure no applications are running, and open task manager (Either by Ctrl + Alt + Del and selecting task manager, or pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc). Once task manager is open, go to the Processes tab, on the processes screen, look towards the bottom and click Show processes from all users. From here, if you can make a list or screenshot all the current running processes and list them here.

3. Download an antivirus (Malware Bytes is quite good) Run a full system antivirus scan to see if it's clean.

If you don't want to or can't list everything on the programs list / processes, you can just Google anything you think might look suspicious and then uninstall it if it's monitoring you.

Edited by Phaled, 02 June 2013 - 01:16 PM.

#6 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:31 PM

Before jumping ahead with a clean install of Vista, it would be much easier to see if there is actually anything on there.

1. Go to Start Control Panel Programs Uninstall a Program. From here you can see all the programs that have been installed on your computer, if you can make a note of these and list all the installed programs on this thread, we'll be able to see if there is anything monitoring your computer.

2. Turn your computer on from a fresh boot and make sure no applications are running, and open task manager (Either by Ctrl + Alt + Del and selecting task manager, or pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc). Once task manager is open, go to the Processes tab, on the processes screen, look towards the bottom and click Show processes from all users. From here, if you can make a list or screenshot all the current running processes and list them here.

3. Download an antivirus (Malware Bytes is quite good) Run a full system antivirus scan to see if it's clean.

If you don't want to or can't list everything on the programs list / processes, you can just Google anything you think might look suspicious and then uninstall it if it's monitoring you.

Few things here:

1. Likely such a product will not show up in the remove programs list to avoid someone catching on.

2. Malwarebytes' is not an antivirus and never was it intended to be used as such. It's a complimentary product that works with an antivirus and does not have the same protection methods and is designed to remove malware commonly missed or highly active threats.

Note that these programs are controversial and there are legitimate and malicious types of these products. Legitimate ones likely will not be detected or marked as PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program).

Edited by DarkSnake-Kobra, 02 June 2013 - 02:13 PM.

#7 amir5914

amir5914
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:28 PM

Thank you so much for all responses. I think I rather go with a clean install just to have much needed peace of mind. The Laptop is an HP Pavilion dv7 with Windows Vista Home Premium. I do not have any of the disks that came with it as I have no idea what she did with them. Once again thank you so much for taking the time to help me out.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:53 PM

Your laptop should have a recovery partition which takes the place of disks.

There are several ways to find out if you do have that.

1) Start Menu/All Programs. Look for any HP folders then look in those folders for Recovery Manager. On my HP laptop it is in the Security and Protection Folder.

If it is there open Recovery Manager, and choose the option to restore to factory condition.

2) If you don't see it in Start Menu restart your computer. Immediately after powering on the laptop start tapping the F11 key to boot into Recovery.

As for the disks you can make them yourself if you have Recovery Manager which should have an option for Recovery Media Creation.

My laptop is Windows 7. Your Vista system may call it something different.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users