Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frequent blue screens - hardware or software issue?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 f1546999

f1546999

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

I'm running Windows 7 on an HP pavilion dv4-2045dx.  My hard drive is partitioned and I am dual-booting with Linux Mint in the other partition.  Both operating systems were working fine for over a year until a few months ago.

A few months ago I started getting blue screens in Windows 7 with increasing frequency.

Now, in Windows 7 I am getting frequent blue screens, usually within 5 or 10 minutes of startup, to the point where I can't even use the computer.  I also sometimes just will get a hard freeze during, or after startup.  Sometimes, the computer doesn't even turn on at all, and my num-lock and caps-lock lights flash 4-times in a repeated pattern with a black screen.  According to the HP website this indicates a problem with the graphics card, but it only happens intermittently.  Sometimes, after booting up, I will get a Windows 7 message that says the graphics driver has crashed, but has recovered.  Typically, I will get a blue screen or a hard lockup within 10 minutes of this message.

In Linux Mint, I will often get a hard freeze within 10 minutes of startup, or it will stall during the boot process.

Since I am having similar problems in both operating systems, I am wondering if this is definitely a hardware issue or if there are viruses/rootkits/etc. that could infect both OS simultaneously.

I am running AVG in Windows 7 and it is up to date.  A couple months ago, something happened where it had stopped updating, even though I had not asked it to stop getting updates.  I had to fiddle with it to get it updating again.

My wife also has an HP pavilion laptop with similar specs (but is not partitioned or dual booting), and has never had blue screens in 4 years of owning it until it happened once yesterday.  This was shortly after I used a portable hard drive to access some of my backed up files on her computer.  This behavior makes me wonder if it could be a virus that spread from my computer to hers.  Her computer is working fine at the moment.

Any help diagnosing the problem would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 logicwatch

logicwatch

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:26 PM

Hi

Try safe mode in W7 and see if you experience the same issues ?

#3 f1546999

f1546999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:30 PM

Booted into W7 safe mode, and computer worked fine at first.  Started up a few programs, but crashed after I opened up AVG manually and started a scan.

Rebooted into W7 safe mode again with networking, this time did not open up AVG.   Opened up web browser, openoffice, and a couple other programs, played Hulu movie.  Computer has been working fine in safe mode for over an hour.

#4 f1546999

f1546999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:55 PM

Update:  Computer is still crashing, even when in safe mode.  This time the display just got garbled and went into a hard freeze.

#5 logicwatch

logicwatch

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:17 AM

I suspect a motherboard issue with the GPU ( graphics processor unit ) overheating is a common problem with GPUs

The definitive method of knowing exactly if it software or hardware related in my book is to back up your important data and then do a full restore of factory settings.

If after a full restore you continue with the faults or it cannot restore correctly you have your answer = HARDWARE !!

If all went well after the windows reinstall your answer is = SOFTWARE !!

personally in my experience I believe it will be hardware.

regards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users