Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New HP computer~can't get wireless router setup

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 jomcandrew

jomcandrew

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:50 PM

Hi everyone. I don't think this is where I should post this but I didn't see where else to either. I have a dell laptop that is about 6 yrs old and a D-Link wireless router. I just purchased a new HP laptop and cannot firgure out how to set up the router. I first checked all over the computer looking and didn't find where I could do anything. I should also say that I had work done on my dell and could not remember the router password so it was set up not to need one. I did find the Quick Router Setup Guide and the first thing it says on there is to insert the CD wizzard. I searched all over and cannot find it. Can anyone tell me if and hopefully how I can get my new laptop setup to be able to sign on with the wirelyss router? So far the new laptop is still sitting on the chair 3 days after I got it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joanne

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:50 PM

If you already have a wireless network setup you don't need to do anything with the router when you get a new computer.

All you have to do is connect the new HP to the network.

Boot up the HP, go to your desktop, and look for the network bars next to the clock. LEFT click on the bars. You should see a list of available networks.

Choose your network and click connect. 

If you do not see the bars please post back here.

You said your network is not set up to use a password. You really should password protect your network in order to prevent unauthorized connection to it.

#3 jomcandrew

jomcandrew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:17 PM

I saw the bars, but next to my name there is a red X and it says "the settings saved on this competer for the network do not match the requirements of the network". I may have done something  trying to get it to work.  And I do want a password but didn't know how to add one.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:37 PM

I know what I could suggest if the operating system is Windows 7. Since I know nothing about Windows 8 I will put out a call for someone who does have experience with Windows 8 to help you.

#5 jomcandrew

jomcandrew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:41 PM

I have been searching around on the computer and in Internet Options I can only pick from dial up or dsl, doesn't say wireless. So does that mean I have to have the disk from the wireless router that I don't have?

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:13 PM

You do not need to do anything in Internet Options.

As of now you do not need the disk for the router if the network is already set up.

You mention a Dell. Are you using the Dell to post here? Is it connecting wirelessly?

#7 jomcandrew

jomcandrew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:43 PM

Yes, I am using the dell to post here and it's connected wirelessly.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:00 PM

Since the Dell is connected wirelessly your router and the network are already set up. You do not need to do anything else with the router. You don't need the router disk.

All you need to do is figure out what you need to do in order to get the HP connected to the network.

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:08 PM

See if anything here helps you

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/zxue/archive/2012/03/08/win8-howto-18-configure-wifi-connection-and-airplane-mode.aspx

#10 jomcandrew

jomcandrew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:35 PM

Will look now. Thanks. I thought it should just work as well, but something with the HP doesn't seem to be letting it. Thanks for the link. I will let you know how it works out. :)

#11 jomcandrew

jomcandrew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:52 PM

I run into the same problem. I must have done something when I was trying to figure it out because the connection that I want to use has a red X and I cannot get it to do anything. I am going to check into the blog that you sent the link to and see if I can figure anything out.

#12 jomcandrew

jomcandrew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:47 PM

I can not find the answer I need. I need to know what to do to get the red X off my connection so that I am able to choose it.......Talk about taking the fun out of a new lap top!

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:03 PM

Hello jomcandrew and welcome to our forum.

Is it possible in any way to get a screen shot of this red X into this topic? Using print screen key and then control V into windows Paint and saving as a .png file is the best option. Then somehow transfer it to your Dell computer and use it as an attachment so I can see what this error looks like. 

Then I will guide you along to get rid of this error.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#14 jomcandrew

jomcandrew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:32 PM

Hi Bruce, thanks so much. The only way I can even think of doing anything on new HP is if I took a picture with my phone and send it. Do you think that would be good enough?

#15 jomcandrew

jomcandrew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:37 PM

Can't get a could pic. It's 12:35 a.m. and I am going to go to bed. I have something to try from what someone else told me. I will let you know how it works out in the morning. Thanks!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users