Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there a log file for system file checker in xp sp3

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Ket

Ket

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:41 PM

I run SFC in windows xp sp3 and at completion the program automatically exits. What does this mean? Has it repaired anything? Is there a log file with the results?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 974 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:08 PM

With xp I thought you had to have a disc ( i386) to run sfc ??

#3 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:21 PM

With xp I thought you had to have a disc ( i386) to run sfc ??

Well, it doesn't ask me for one. It may be reading from the recovery partition (it's a netbook with no optical drive), though I am not sure. In my older pc I couldn't run SFC because it would ask me for the disc, but this one doesn't and there is a progress bar that actually completes. But don't I get to know what happened?

#4 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 974 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:50 PM

What prompted you to run sfc?

#5 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:04 PM

What prompted you to run sfc?

I got through the pains of uninstalling ms office 2007, which left behind a lot of registry items. The computer was very slow, so I ran ccleaner. But as I don't usually use registry cleaners, I wanted to make sure that all things in place. So I was wondering of what SFC found (or didn't). In windows 7 there is a log file (CBS or something). Is there something similar in xp?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:30 PM

No log file for sfc /scannow in XP :).

Apparently, CBS exists only in Vista and Win 7. not XP.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-find-what-files-sfc-could-not-repair.html

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 01 June 2013 - 03:33 PM.

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:35 PM

SFC can run with or without a disc.  It may ask for an installation disc if a folder on the computer named i386 is not present or if there are damaged or missing files that need repairing that aren't in that folder or if that folder doesn't exist.

SFC will attempt to repair or replace bad system files.  It doesn't address other software files.

You can find what SFC did in the Event Viewer.  There is no log file per se.  There may be one or more entries in Event Viewer concerning any repairing or replacing that SFC did.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:07 PM

You can find what SFC did in the Event Viewer.  There is no log file per se.  There may be one or more entries in Event Viewer concerning any repairing or replacing that SFC did.

In the event viewer under Application and System there are no errors. I am not sure which would be the source of the event. Maybe "windows file protection"? If so, it says it was completed successfully.

#9 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:00 AM

Well, I guess it probably didn't have to repair anything, otherwise it would have probably shown something  in event viewer.

Thanks everyone for your help. :)

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:22 AM

Well...my question is...what made you run SFC?

Are you having problems...which you felt that SFC would overcome?

Louis

#11 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:30 AM

Well...my question is...what made you run SFC?

Are you having problems...which you felt that SFC would overcome?

Louis

Please see comment #5 of this thread.

Edited by Ket, 03 June 2013 - 11:31 AM.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:33 AM

To be redundant...are you currently having problems with your system...that you want to attempt to resolve via this forum?

Louis

#13 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:48 PM

To be redundant...are you currently having problems with your system...that you want to attempt to resolve via this forum?

Louis

At the moment I haven't noticed something. I just started the thread in order to find out of how to find the results of SFC in XP, cause I couldn't find this information on MS website (or anywhere else in that case). I appreciate the help.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:59 PM

:thumbup2: .

Louis

#15 gandydancer

gandydancer

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:17 AM

Recognizing that this is an old thread, it came up for me on Google and I think I have some information to add for anyone else who needs an answer to the question posed and stumbles across it.

I'm trying to bring up an old Gateway XP box and managed to fix some of the problems it was having running installers (it was ignoring, so  far as I can tell, clicks on some of them) by running sfc /scannow. As the OP noted it is indeed odd that the program ends without any result other than the progress windown closing and without any indication of where a log can be found. But, unlike the OP,  I did encounter a dozen or so instances of ""Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache. Insert your Windows Professional Service Pack 3 CD now.", resolved by cancelling, which skips the relevant file(s). Microsoft throws some obstacles in the way on account of its not supporting XP anymore and an assumption on its part that you don't really want an XP ISO image if you're using a Win7 machine... but I did find the ISO and burned it, only to find the Gateway's CD wouldn't open.

But the first time I just skipped, and I found that this seems to have generated messages in the Event Viewer/ "System" events along the lines of (if you select a line and look at "details"):

"Event Type:    Information
Event Source:    Windows File Protection
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    64021
Date:        6/7/2015
Time:        9:01:52 PM
User:        N/A
Computer:    GATEWAY
Description:
The system file c:\program files\windows media player\wmpns.dll could not be copied into the DLL cache.  The specific error code is 0x000004c7 [The operation was canceled by the user.].  This file is necessary to maintain system stability. / For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp."

You can filter for source:Windows File Protection to get the Events due to sfc.

Now, I tried to resolve the skips by copying the indicated files (wmpns.dll,sens.dll, npdrmv2.dll, comsvcs.dll, npwmsdrm.dll, npdsplay.dll, mplayer2.exe, stdole2.tlb) from another XP SP3 machine to windows/system32/dllcache on the Gateway and ran sfc /scannow again... But that didn't work. I still got a dozen or so requests dor the SP3 CD and when I skipped them... This time nothing showed up in the event logs, a mystery I'm still working on.

But, as I said, I hope this will give more insight to anyone stumbling on this thread wanting to know the answer to the OP's question than was heretofore here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users