Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DELL d620 wont complete POST

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 njamba

njamba

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:05 AM

hi,

When I turn my computer on, it freezes on the Dell splash screen like 1/4 of the way. Its a dell D620. Just before it misbehaved, my Google Chrome application started hanging i restarted like two times then it froze and could not boot anymore.
Tried booting with "Fn" but the diagnosis also just hangs. Can't even give me an option of F2/F12 so cant change the boot sequence.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:33 AM

Hi

From the description you provided, i suspect a hardware failure. In most cases it could be either RAM or HDD . Follow the below steps and report the result in next reply.

Warning- Touch your hand in an unpainted metal part to discharge static electricity before removing any component.

Here is the link to the service manual of your laptop - ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_latitude_laptop/latitude-d620_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

1 ) Remove the hard disk and check if the system can enter in to the BIOS. Refer page 18 of the manual if you don't know how to remove the HDD.

2 ) Check if there is an additional RAM in the DIMM socket B which is located in the bottom part. Remove it and check if the system works. Refer page 23 if you are in doubt.

3 ) If the above steps didn't helps, you need to take out the RAM in DIMM slot A which is located under the keyboard. Refer page 22 carefully if you are in doubt. Now remove and reinsert the RAM module several times to resolve any potential contact issues.

Reply after doing the above steps.

#3 njamba

njamba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:23 AM

hi Anshad,

Thanks for your response. The manual is very helpful.

I had tried the first 2 in vain, however i retried and have just tried your 3rd step, removed the Keyboard and reseating the DIMMA, i removed and inserted it back like 4 times and when i reassemble everything back and re-boot again it gets stuck at the same point. Just before i get to F2/F12.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:45 AM

Hi

Do you have a spare RAM to check ?. Remove the RAM in slot B and use it in slot A. If slot B is empty and no spare modules are available, use a pencil rubber and carefully rub and clean the contacts of the memory in slot A . If that didn't helps, try removing the peripherals one by one. Start with HDD , CD Drive , WLAN card, Bluetooth card etc. Faulty peripherals can also cause this type of symptoms. Instructions for properly removing them can be found in the service manual.

If the issue remains after removing all peripherals which can be physically removed, you should try a known good spare memory module for checking. As i said earlier, care should be taken to avoid static electricity damage

Here is a sample video of disassembling latitude D 620 :

#5 njamba

njamba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:55 AM

Hi,

Thanks again.

I got a working D630, i removed DIMM B from the working 630 and Placed it on DIMM A of D620 still didn't work. I swapped the two DIMM's on the D620 still no change. So maybe the Memories are OK. I booted with the CDROM out same thing Tried with HDD out, no change also. i thought of swapping the HDD for the D620 and D630 i saw its like they are not fully compatible.

Could it be software? or mayb i came under a virus attack.

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

Hi

Being stuck at the Dell logo screen is a clear indication of a hardware problem.  As the peripherals are OK, it could be a motherboard issue. As a last step, you can try removing and reinserting the CPU.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users