Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does this kind of software exist?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 graviton

graviton

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:57 PM

Hi!  I want to know if any software exists, preferably free but not necessarily so, which will do the following task:   I have two very lengthy lists (with many tens of thousands of items) that are identical in most places, but one list has items that the other list does not. Can any software cull the items on the second list that don't appear on the first iist, and identify them for me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:14 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

I have a question for you, are you trying to merge two different lists together to make it one list of both alphabetically?

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 graviton

graviton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:56 PM

No, I'm trying to locate the new material in List 2--that is, the few new items in the second list that don't appear in the first list.

graviton

#4 Kikero

Kikero

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:24 PM

Realistically you can just use Microsoft Excel in this. What kind of data is it? Just text/numbers? If so, just use this YouTube video to compare the lists:

#5 graviton

graviton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:42 PM

Thank you kikero, it looks like this is just what I need.  One question though: does any freeware version of Excel exist  which contains the necessary features described in the video?

graviton

#6 Kikero

Kikero

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:12 AM

OpenOffice is a free Microsoft Office alternative (it is also open source), though I am not 100% sure whether it has the same exact features as Excel, but it should be very close. I would give it a try: http://www.openoffice.org/download/

#7 graviton

graviton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:09 AM

I have LibreOffice.  Is it possible to do in LibreOffice what is called "match" and "vLookup" in Excel?

#8 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:20 AM

From what I understand, LibreOfffice replaced OpenOffice and is basically the same thing, I personally use OpenOffice myself for all my writing needs, {I may move to Star Office, but I may just stick with OpenOffice}. Spreadsheet might be what you are looking for.

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

#9 Kikero

Kikero

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:25 PM

This is also very easily possible by creating your own app in C#. I would use a thread pool though in order for it not to take very long. Though, the code is very easy I would think. Third party software is still probably better, but making your own is always an option as well.

#10 1916Luger

1916Luger

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:13 PM

Put each list in a database file and create a field in each -- call it identity or something you like, with the same field name in both databases. Fill all records in that field with the same data (maybe the name of the list) but make sure the data in one file is different than the data in hte other file's matching field. Merge the two files into a third (save as separate file).

Most decent databases will let you search for duplicates based on one or more fields, pick the field most relavant, Find all the duplicates, usually there is a command that will invert the search -- in Filemaker Pro it would be "show ommitted". Those records will be the extra records and will be identified which original database they came from by the data you put in the field you created at the start.

Export, sort, do whatever you like, as the British say: Bob's your uncle".

Edited by 1916Luger, 12 June 2013 - 08:16 PM.

#11 Geoff_B

Geoff_B

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:49 PM

Export, sort, do whatever you like, as the British say: Bob's your uncle".

Or a transgender surgeon may say, "Bob's your Aunt!"  :hysterical:

#12 1916Luger

1916Luger

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:05 PM

Is that a surgeon who performs transgender surgery, or a surgeon who is transgender him or her self? Bob becomes Bobette when you bob it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users