Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ContextMenu is causing explorer.exe to crash?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 darkluis12

darkluis12

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:48 PM

Today when i started my computer I tried to extract a .zip file and when I right click on it explorer.exe stop working. After some investigation and observations I realized that every time I right-click on a .zip .rar .txt .exe file the explorer.exe service stop working and I have to restart it. 

First I though it was a virus, so I run Microsoft Security Essential but it froze when it was scanning C:/Windows/explorer.exe. Then I tried MalwareBytes but it froze too. I run SUPERAntiSpyware, it froze too. Then I run ComboFix but it did not find anything unusual. Then I run the comand sfc /scannow but it told me that everything is normal. Then I read that shexview can let you disable some context menu options but when I start the program it freezes too and it never loads anything. Then I read of a solution by deleting the contextmenu from the registry but before I try that I wanted to ask in here. Maybe someone have a safer solution or another option that I can try.            Other options that I have in mind are, a System Restore, or a System Reload, but I want to try anything that is possible before taking any of those options.

Pd: I do not have any games on my computer so there is no way for SecuROM to be installed, also I haven't installed anything to the computer for a couple of days. But what I think that caused the problem is that yesterday the power went off and my computer was on, so it shutted down. Maybe some registry values or services get corrupted on the power outage.

Thanks. :)

Edited by darkluis12, 31 May 2013 - 07:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:53 AM

Any changes before the problem? Did it worked before? What particular zip files and software extractor is being used?

Try downloading Speccy and then install the program.  To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Download MiniToolBox and run the program. Select
List Last 10 Event Viewers, List Installed Programs and List Users, Partitions and Memory Size then click Go.
A notepad will open then copy-paste the report on your next reply.

Tekken

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:47 PM

Hi

Faulty shell extensions can cause the explorer to crash. Follow the below steps to find the culprit.

1 ) Download ShellExView from  http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview_setup.exe

2 ) Open the tool and you will see a Window similar to this :

shexview.gif

3 ) You will see a lot of items with Microsoft Corporation as the company name. Those are default Windows items and won't cause an explorer crash.

All remaining items which lists empty company name  or listing other company name are created by third party programs. One of those will be the probable cause of crash.

4 ) The rule is to disable non-Microsoft context menu handlers *one-by-one* and verify if the problem is solved. To disable an item, right click on it and choose Disable selected item.If disabling one does not solve the problem, undo the disabled item and disable the next non-Microsoft handler. Do the same until the problem is solved and finally identify the culprit.

#4 darkluis12

darkluis12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:07 PM

Thank you for your answers I really appreciate them. I want to make emphasis on my first comment saying that I did not install anything in the past days and I didn't because I was in school and then in work, so I didn't use my computer for almost a week. I found out that the problem was caused by a power outage when my computer was on, causing the contextMenu to fail, why it happens? I don't know how but it did. 

Also like I said, I did try the ShellExView but I apologize, I wrote shexview on the comment  so, it might have caused some confusion. But this program froze when I opened it. However I left my computer running all night with the ShellExView frozen, and by the afternoon of the next day it magically unfroze letting me spot the problem.

So the problem is solved. Thank you for your answers and time.

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:05 PM

Hi

Glad to know that the problem is solved. Since the issue started after a power outage, i suspect a file system corruption. Please run check disk before using the system. To do that, follow the below steps.

1 ) Open an elevated command prompt (Run as Administrator )

1218d1239716938t-elevated-command-prompt

2 ) In the command console Window, enter CHKDSK C: /R . System will ask permission to schedule a disk scan on next reboot. Press Y and Enter to confirm.

3 ) Restart the system and you will see check disk running in a black screen. Wait until it finishes and automatically restarts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users