Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Update Microsoft

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 13 April 2006 - 10:23 AM

Microsoft updates can't be made. I get error messages 0x8ddd0018 and 0x80070422 but these lead me in circles because I'm not able to make any changes. I used to have updates automatically, but Belarc evaluation program shows the 5 new MS updates have not been done. Four of the updates are critical. I can't get them.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2006 - 10:37 AM

Go to Windows Update and set your computer to update automatically - to download and install automatically. That should resolve your immediate problem.

When did you download and install SP2, because if you haven't done that successfully you cannot download subsequent Windows Critical Updates unless you set your updates to fully automatic, which will download and install SP2 first.

You must also authenticate Windows and the download for the authenticator may have failed to download and install.

Edited by Enthusiast, 13 April 2006 - 10:54 AM.

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 13 April 2006 - 07:26 PM

The question that has to be asked here is: Is the Windows XP you have LEGAL? If not Windows Update will not work. If it is a legal copy you have a slight problem. If you have Service Pack 2 installed your original recorey disk will not work so you are going to have to make a bootable recovery disk with Service pack 2 slipstreamed into it to be able to do a repair of Windows XP

If you want to build such a disk go to the following site: Build an XP-SP2 Recovery Disc

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1747010,00.asp

Follow all of the instructions exactly as stated and you should be alright

For instructions on doing a repair to Windows XP go to this site:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

And as always before doing anything as drastic as a repair or recovery PLEASE BACKUP ANY AND ALL DATA ON YOUR SYSTEM THAT IS VALUABLE. One screw-up and your data is toast and not the kind you eat.

Have fun and be good.

#4 zbd

zbd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2006 - 11:47 AM

I have had the SP-2 for over a year with no problems. It always updated automatically. I ran the windows Genuine Program and received the following: : "Validation Complete! Thank you for validating your copy of microsoft windows. Thank you for using windows genuine advantage program. You may now access resources for genuine windows users." I have the 15 digit product key but never asked for it anywhere.
When trying to get the updates I get to this: <Setup cannot update your windows XP files because the language installed on your systems is different from the update language.> I try it under both English and Korean, and these are the only languages used by me.
Any suggestions?

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 16 April 2006 - 09:21 PM

From you last post = I try it under both English and Korean, and these are the only languages used by me.

I know you use Korean but it might be that the languages are a bit corrupt on your system. I would suggest uninstalling them if you can and then reinstall the English first then try the Windows Update.

That is all I can think of since you have a legal copy of Windows the updates should work but is giving you an error that something is wrong with the languages.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2006 - 09:53 PM

What was the language Windows was originally installed under? If it was Korean select that from the dropdown box.

You may not have sucessfully loaded the update for Windows Installer.

Try this and see if it cures your problem:

Windows Installer download
Windows 2000; Windows XP
WindowsInstaller-KB893803-x86.exe is the redistributable package for installing or upgrading Windows Installer.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

If that doesn't resolve the problem try using Microsoft Updates instead of Windows Updates to update manually.
Update Your Files by Using Windows Update or by Using Microsoft Update
If you choose not to use Automatic Updates, you can still install specific updates from the Windows Update Web site or from the Microsoft Update Web site. Windows Update and Microsoft Update are catalogs of items such as drivers, security fixes, critical updates, the latest Help files, and Internet products that you can download to keep your computer up-to-date.

To update your system files with the latest critical updates by using the Windows Update Web site or by using the Microsoft Update Web site, follow these steps:
1. Start Microsoft Internet Explorer.
2. On the Tools menu, click Windows Update.
3. Click Yes if you are prompted to install any required software.

The Windows Update home page or the Microsoft Update home page appears.
4. Click Express Install (Recommended): High Priority Updates for Your Computer. Windows Update or Microsoft Update looks for any critical updates that are available for your computer.

Click change settings on the Microsoft Updates page:

(Change Settings -
Language

Microsoft Update displays Web pages in the same language you use to view Windows. You can change the language you use to view Microsoft Update, but some pages might display information in more than one language.
Important: If you change the recommended language setting, you must install the corresponding language pack for Internet Explorer.)

5. Click Install to install all available critical updates.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525/en-us

#7 zbd

zbd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2006 - 11:53 PM

It works now!!!!!!!! Updates completed!!!!!!!
I used the program Dial-a-fix (version 0.57.7) by <www.Djlizard.net>.
I would suggest this for anyone having problems to try this first.
Thanks to ThorXP and Enthusiast for your help. Thank you very much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users