Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Create partition/Windows install

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tms0713

tms0713

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:43 PM

Hello-

I have a Dell Latitude D600...its an older notebook.  The hard drive crashed so I ordered a new one and installed it.  The computer is recognizing the new hard drive.  I put in my Windows disk that came with the computer and select to boot from the CD/DVD drive.  The Windows setp up runs and brings me to the screen to accept the license agreement.  I press F8 to accept and then I am taken to the screen to either Delete a partition or Create a new one.  Since the whole disk is showing as unpartitioned space I press C to create a new partition.  I am then taken to the screen to select a size of the partition, I enter through to accept the amount shown and I am taken back to the previous screen however it is not showing the partition.  It is still showing the whole disk as unpartitioned space.  I have tried numerous times changing the amount even as low as 8MB with the same result...no partition.  I am not a computer whiz but I am usually good at figuring things out on my own but this one has me stumped...and frustrated.  I tried to be as complete as possible but please let me know if I need to provide additional information...Thank you in advance for any guidance to can give me.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 masher92

masher92

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:07 PM

Hi tms0713,

Are you trying to create one partition for the entire drive or seperate partitions for the installation and data?

If you are trying to use one partition, does it let you install directly to the unallocated space without creating the partition during the installation?

Thank you.

#3 tms0713

tms0713
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:09 PM

I was just going to create one partition...but it won't let me install to the unpartitioned space.  I tried to press enter to install Windows to the unpartitioned space and it does nothing.

#4 masher92

masher92

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:34 PM

Where did you get the XP disc from?  Is it one that came with the Dell laptop or one you have lying around somewhere?

#5 tms0713

tms0713
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:38 PM

Its the one that came with the computer...I should say that the computer was a refurb but it is the disc that I got with the computer.

#6 masher92

masher92

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:23 PM

Could find out what BIOS version you are using?

This will involve entering the BIOS, please do not make any changes to any settings unless you are confident you know what you are doing.

Turn off the computer, wait a few seconds, power on the computer and while the Dell logo is on screen press F2.

This should bring you into the BIOS, the BIOS version should be in the top right-hand corner?

To exit, simply push the ESC key.

#7 masher92

masher92

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:36 PM

Also,

Does the CD you are currently using say anything on it like XP SP2?

Do you have any other XP cd's you can try?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users