Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I replace my video card?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Travo16

Travo16

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:26 PM

Hey, this is my first time posting here.

So I have been using a custom built PC for about 2 years now. Everything has been running pretty smooth for the most part.

About 1 month ago, my computer "blue screened" for the first time. It crashed and I had tons of trouble getting it to boot back up. I played around with some of the connections in the back (unplugging and plugging back my monitors) and after about 4 hours of messing around with it, I finally got it back up and running. First thing I did was go and make sure my video drivers were all updated (they already were).

So about a month goes by with no problems and then just a few days ago it crashed again. However, this time, I was unable to get it back working. Whenever I tried to restart or restore my computer settings, it would just crash everytime windows tried loading up. Sometimes the blue screen would just pop up without a specific error indicated, but the 2 errors I saw most often were "IRQL not less than or equal" and "page fault in non paged area". 

So I tried just reloading windows (this was tough since anytime my computer tried to do anything it would crash). After messing around with it, I ended up taking out my graphics card (Radeon HD 6770) and just tried booting up my computer using the APU processor (A8-3850).

When I disconnected my graphics card my computer started to run perfectly fine! And then whenever I tried reconnecting my HD 6770 then my computer would never get past the windows loading screen and would just always crash (again, sometimes the errors would be different, but most I always saw was page fault in non paged area message). I am no expert on computers (obviously  :P) but from what I can guess is that something is wrong with my video card. I found this awesome website (yay!) and have been a lurker on the forums for about a few weeks now, but today I decided to try and ask you guys for advice!

I guess what I want to know is if my video card is just broken. I have been having problems with error messages (in the past) that popup saying "There was a problem with your video card" as the screen flickers but then it says "but it has recovered". Everytime I see that I would check for updates for the drivers but it was always updated with the latest stuff. I just want to know if there is anything else I can do to test to make sure it is DEFINITELY my video card that is messing up and not something else (like RAM). I will replace it if I have to but of course I would like to avoid this if possible.

I am using:
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

16 GB RAM

AMD A8 3850 Processor

Radeon HD 6770 Video Card (currently disabled since it causes it to crash whenever hooked up)

F1A75-V PRO (motherboard)

Edited by hamluis, 31 May 2013 - 03:54 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Travo16

Travo16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:48 PM

Actually, I think I should've posted this in Internal Hardware instead of Windows 7. Sorry, my first time here :D

If a mod could move this I would appreciate it. Thanks! 

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:53 PM

I'll move the topic :).

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

List last 10 Event Viewer log

List Installed Programs

List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link.

Louis

#4 Travo16

Travo16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:18 PM

Thanks for the reply!!

I am at work for another few hours then as soon as I get home I will post the results :)

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:26 PM

Have you tried updating the drivers for your video card?

Have you tried using that video card in  some other computer?

You could also try installing a different video card in the PC you are now using, and see if you have the same issues with that one. As for testing your RAM, there are several Linux-based memory testers you can download and run. Or, remove all but one RAM stick, run the computer for a while, see if there are any issues. Do this for each stick of RAM.

If the issue doesn't replicate after all that, you will have essentially narrowed it down to your video card.

#6 Travo16

Travo16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:36 PM

Since I was having so many problems, I reinstalled windows and just started from scratch. Even though I tried downloading the drivers, anytime my graphics card is plugged into the computer it will never get past the loading screen of windows. So the only way I can even get to the desktop is by just running on my A8-APU. Hopefully the information below will help clarify what might be going wrong.

Here is my speccy: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/LSAcjzY5XxEoYuN2JdtN7ob

And below is the minidump:

MiniToolBox by Farbar  Version:21-04-2013
Ran by Travo (administrator) on 02-06-2013 at 12:27:36
Running from "C:\Users\Travo\Downloads"
Windows 7 Home Premium  (X64)
Boot Mode: Normal

========================= Event log errors: ===============================

Application errors:
==================

System errors:
=============
Error: (05/31/2013 01:42:15 PM) (Source: BugCheck) (User: )
Description: 0x0000001e (0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP053113-19250-01

Error: (05/30/2013 10:53:31 PM) (Source: BugCheck) (User: )
Description: 0x00000050 (0xfffff140017518ac, 0x0000000000000000, 0xfffff8800125e475, 0x0000000000000007)C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP053013-19936-01

Microsoft Office Sessions:
=========================

=========================== Installed Programs ============================

Asmedia ASM104x USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver (Version: 1.10.0.0)
Asmedia ASM106x SATA Host Controller Driver (Version: 1.2.2.000)
Realtek Ethernet Diagnostic Utility (Version: 1.00.0000)

========================= Memory info: ===================================

Percentage of memory in use: 11%
Total physical RAM: 15864.26 MB
Available physical RAM: 14051.63 MB
Total Pagefile: 31726.66 MB
Available Pagefile: 29935.87 MB
Total Virtual: 4095.88 MB
Available Virtual: 3986.11 MB

========================= Partitions: =====================================

1 Drive c: () (Fixed) (Total:931.41 GB) (Free:677.59 GB) NTFS

========================= Users: ========================================

User accounts for \\TRAVO-PC

Administrator            Guest                    Travo                   

**** End of log ****

Edited by Travo16, 02 June 2013 - 12:37 PM.

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:03 PM

That first error points to a hardware incompatibility issue, according to Microsoft:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserversetup/thread/fe3ff855-efa0-45e8-870d-86eea275e7e4

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/multiple-blue-screen-error-codes-0x0000007e/4a566362-1872-4ddd-9d71-928f852436f9

The 0x00000050 error code, the second one, means Windows has tried to shut down to prevent further damage to your computer.

I take it this is the same video card you were having issues with before? It seems there is a compatibility issue with the driver, or somewhere in the BIOS, or the video card itself. I think your only real option at this point is to replace the video card, checking to ensure it is compatible with your motherboard and computer system.

#8 Travo16

Travo16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:41 PM

Yea, it was the video card. I mean, for 2 years it was working just fine and when it comes to the drivers, I had all the latest ones from their website. So I dont know what else to do when it comes to the drivers, I think im just going to replace it sometime today. I just wanted to double check with other people on this forum to see if it is a good idea. It is the only thing I keep changing that affects whether or not my computer starts up or not.

#9 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:45 PM

As sure a sign as any that the hardware is the culprit. Sorry the news isn't better.

My guess is something in the card went bad -- possible mini-power surge affected it, electrostatic discharge, capacitor gone bad, chipset gone bad; with hardware, it's always hard to tell the exact culprit.

#10 Travo16

Travo16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:09 PM

Well I just tried something that just confused me.

I took out my video card and put it into a different computer and tried booting up the different comp with the monitor plugged into the video card.

The computer was ACTUALLY able to boot all the way to the desktop (something that is not happening on my main computer). I was able to open windows and ie without experiencing any problems...

So I guess my new question would be... are the settings/drivers for my video card (the one thats messing up) saved into the BIOS settings? I mean, i reinstalled windows from scratch hoping just just start with a clean slate but maybe the drivers are still installed into the motherboard settings?

The different computer that I tested it with pretty much started fine (although, the screen did flicker a bit, perhaps a sign that the video card is indeed corrupted). How do I make sure that there are no drivers left on my computer from the old video card??

#11 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:18 PM

The other computer you tried it on -- is it the same year, make and model as yours? Does it have the same type of motherboard?

The log files indicate the problem is a compatibility issue on your computer. If the other computer is running on different hardware, it may be the video card is compatible with that one, although the flickering is not a good sign.

If that other computer is identical to yours, and the video drivers on yours are up to date, it could be the BIOS on your computer may need to be updated, or flashed, or the bus for the video card on the motherboard itself is bad. Try installing another type of video card on your computer. If it installs, the problem re your other video card is likely a compatibility issue with the BIOS. If the other video card won't install, then the issue may be more serious, as the problem might be on the motherboard itself.

#12 Travo16

Travo16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:41 PM

Both of the computers I tried it on were custom built. The computer I am on (the one having the problems) is using a ASUS motherboard (f1A75-V Pro) while the other computer I built for my mother. It is almost the same thing, just using slightly different models, hers is an ASUS motherboard too (f1A75-M LE).

Unfortunately, I only have 1 video card to test out (the one that is messing up at the moment). My mother's computer doesnt have a video card in it because she is just using an APU processor on hers. I will try to update the BIOS and see what happens and if that fixes it.

#13 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:45 PM

Two different motherboard models. That would make a difference.

Make sure to back up the current copy of your BIOS before you flash it. Good luck.

#14 Travo16

Travo16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:50 PM

Ok, nothing is working right anymore.

I noticed that my computer was actually running off the default video settings when you first install windows (it actually wasnt using the built in Radeon HD 6550D in my A8 APU). So then I tried just installing the drivers for that and it told me to restart the computer and now I am having the EXACT same problems I was having with my other graphics card (the radeon 6770 that is seperate from the APU).

So now I am starting to think it is something other than just my graphics cards that is messing it up. What should I post on here to show you guys the recent history of errors so you can help me figure out what is messing up? should I run the minitoolbox again or post like my minidump folder in windows? The only way i can get through to my desktop is by running in safe mode + networking, not sure if that makes a difference.

#15 Travo16

Travo16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:53 PM

Ok my minitoolbox still works, should I just link that? What boxes should I check when I do?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users