Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

reinstall windows7 using friend's recovery disk

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Phep

Phep

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:55 PM

Hi,

I've had some problems with my computer and am consdering wiping out my hard drive and reinstalling Windows 7. The problem is: I don't have a windows cd to boot it from. My friend doesn't have one either, but he has his recovery disk. We both have Sager laptops but differing models. I was wondering if I could use his recovery disk just to reinstall windows using the microsoft product key under my laptop. Will doing this just give me the drivers that are compatible with his hardware and I can just remove them? I've downloaded my hardware drivers onto an external hard drive and was wondering if i could just load up a clean win7 os that way.

Thanks for your time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:07 PM

Well...you need to understand just what recovery disks are.

They may rely on files which are on a hidden partition on the system's hard drive which was originally installed...they may not.

If the system is not the exact same model...using recovery dsiks from a different system is just an invitation to more frustration.  If you look at those retailers selling "recovery disks", you will see that they definitely are system specific...there is no general reovery disks which can be applied to different system models.

I also imagine that using someone else's disks...will result in the Windows license applicable to the disks used on another system...will show up on that list which Microsoft maintains for known compromised license keys.

Louis

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:31 PM

That is correct. Recovery disks are both OEM and make-and-model specific. Doing what you are thinking about doing will almost certainly only make the problems worse.

You're better off contacting Sager and asking them to send you a recovery disk for your make and model. Most manufacturers will do this for free, although you may have to provide things like your product key and laptop serial number.

#4 Phep

Phep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:26 PM

Thanks. Guess I'll just wait for the windows 7 cds then.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:23 PM

Hi -

If your "maker" produces Recovery disks they are usually fairly easy to request and obtain.

My Windows 7 OEM Toshiba laptop was in need of Recovery disks and they were provided by Toshiba for a small fee.

I just rang the local Toshiba base and quoted my serial number to prove it could be matched to their data base, and in a week I had a set of 3 disks with all Windows and Toshiba data included. There was a fee of about $60, and included delivery to my door.

I have since made several of my own backup / reinstall disks that can be used to work on my system. Makers like Dell, and some other OEM computers,  must have the specific makers reinstall disks, as general backups from other makes will not work in most cases. Certain files are Maker or System specific, so you are better to wait for the new ones.

With XP or earlier the reinstall was a lot easier, however units like Dell still needed system specific CDs -

Regards -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users