Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Group policy logon script in win 2008

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hispaladin

hispaladin

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:29 PM

I am working to get a .vbs logon script to work on our network.  I have the script working to map network drives based on security group and have tested it and it works great.  I have applied it to a few users directly (under their profile tab in AD) and it works but I have tried to get it to work under a group policy and it will not work.  It still works on the users that I set it to run as a profile login script even though it is not listed there any longer but for users that did not have it listed it will not work.  I dont know what I am doing wrong but everytime they log back into the domain they loose their drive mappings.  

I am adding a few screenshots to see if anything will help with what I am doing wrong.

Attached File  gpo1.PNG   38.32KB   6 downloads

Attached File  gpo2.PNG   30.96KB   4 downloads

I will give more info as I can I just don't know what info to give right now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 masher92

masher92

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:59 PM

Hi hispaladin,

Is there a particular reason you are trying to use a VBS script to map the drives?

I'm not sure whether it's included in 2008 group policy but it deffiently is in 2008 R2 group policy, you can use group policy preferences to map drives to specific user groups.

Here is a link I've found:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2009/01/07/using-group-policy-preferences-to-map-drives-based-on-group-membership.aspx

I've got group policy preferences working on several of my servers.

#3 hispaladin

hispaladin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:21 PM

Thanks for the article and it looks to be exactly what I am looking for but for some reason I am not getting it to work.  I dont know if maybe I have the GPO (global logon) in the wrong place or something.  I have it set to map public for everyone, accounting share for those in accounting, and the app share as well as the other two for the domain admin group.  So far it is not mapping the drives for anyone.  I am still looking but am not sure what is causing this.  any pointers would be helpful.

#4 masher92

masher92

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:32 PM

What version of Windows are the clients running?

If they are XP, please download and install this on the clients.

If they are Vista, are the computers fully up to date with the latest service pack?

If they are Windows 7+, I can't think of any reasons they would not work.

If you've tried this and the clients still aren't picking up the group policy, please follow these steps:

Open CMD.

Type the command "gpupdate /force"

Restart the computer

Type the command "gpresult /R"

Is the name of the group policy object you've created for mapping drives located under Applied Group Policy Objects, Filtered Out Group Policy Objects or does it just not appear?

#5 hispaladin

hispaladin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:42 PM

well that would explain a lot, it is working fine on my computer but will not work on the second client I am testing which is XP, mine is Win8.  I was just about to post that it was working on my machine but not the other.  I'll try the download and see if it takes care of the problem.  Thanks a bunch for the link it has saved me a bunch of headaches (well other than the ones I went through making the script  :killcomp: )

#6 hispaladin

hispaladin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:48 PM

Woo that worked!  Thanks a bunch, that has made my day much easier and I am amazed with what all you can do with it.  

#7 masher92

masher92

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

Group policy is a wonderful thing.

As much as I admire scripts, group policy is much easier to manage.

On the 2003 servers, I used to use scripts for everything from mapping drives to adding network printers on logon.

On 2008+ servers, group policy has so much more to offer that these scripts quickly became no longer necessary.

Anything I can't do with group policy, I create a script and then use group policy to deploy it.

Anyway, glad your issue got resolved.

#8 hispaladin

hispaladin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

Monday will be the real test to see if it works on the machines I really need it to work on but I think it will work.

#9 masher92

masher92

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:14 PM

As long as the Group Policy Extensions for XP are installed, I can't see any reasons why it wouldn't work.

If you do get any problems, just let me know and we can troubleshoot the group policy further.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users