Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get .pdf to open in IE

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mountainbadger

mountainbadger

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:26 PM

Any .pdf file that is linked to open in Internet Explorer won't open and will just produce a white background page with a small black rectangle in the top left corner with an X in it.  I just ran MBAM and it removed a Trojan (labeled as Trojan.Agent.AMSGen). Could that have something to do with it? I also uninstalled Adobe and reinstalled a new version, but it's still not working.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,255 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:16 PM

Sounds like Adobe Reader isn't an add-on in your browser. Go to Internet Options, Programs, click Manage Add ons, find Adobe PDF Reader in the list and add it by clicking Enabled.

You may also need to edit the preferences for Adobe. In the Start menu, All Programs, go down to Adobe Reader and open it. In the Edit tab, go down to Preferences. Click Internet in the Preferences window, and select Display PDF in browser.

If that doesn't work, go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, click on Adobe Reader, click Change/Remove, click Next and select Repair. Click Next and then click Install. This will repair the install. You may still need to add it to your add-on and edit the preferences after the repair.

#3 mountainbadger

mountainbadger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:42 AM

Thanks. I had already checked the settings of both Acrobat and IE add-ons.  It's enabled in IE and Adobe prefences are set to display in browser.  I also had uninstalled and reinstalled Acrobat already.  Any other thoughts?

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,255 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

It's possible the Trojan damaged your installation of Internet Explorer. You didn't mention which version of IE you're using. If you're using IE8 you may want to upgrade to IE9 or 10, depending on your OS. If you can't upgrade, try uninstalling and reinstalling IE.

Also, have you tried doing this in another browser? If it works in Chrome or Mozilla, that would narrow down where the problem is.

#5 NeedGeekHelp

NeedGeekHelp

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:23 PM

Was a solution ever found for this issue?  I am having a similar problem and it's really becoming bothersome.  I have to go through Internet Explorer to get into my corporate remote access network.  There are pdf files/forms that I have to download from the corp network, otherwise I would just use Google Chrome (it works just fine).  I am using Windows 7, IE9.   I have followed all suggestions on Adobe's website and nothing works.  Here's one caveat:  I can open a pdf file from my hard drive directly by navigating to it from IE.  The problem comes when trying to open a pdf file from any link or even if I right-click the pdf file from my hard drive and click 'open', it briefly flashes a window like it's trying to open, but it immediately goes away.  There is no error message.  If I'm on a website in IE and try to click on a pdf link, it does that same 'flash' like it's trying to open, but it doesn't and doesn't give any error message or anything.  If I do ctrl + click (to suppress pop-up blocker), it tries to open in a new tab, but it's blank.  I've tried everything I know to try.  Any ideas??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users