Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want to access protected files via CMD prompt due to startup failure

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 funnyjon

funnyjon

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:12 PM

Hi all

Last night my registry corrupted and now I am in a constant repair loop (Windows 7)

With CMD prompt have taken advice to copy the reg files back from backup, that did not work, have done the fixboot.exe advise, did not work and clicked on startup repair 100 times.

Have created a win 7 bootable USB but can not do a repair as not in windows.

So unless anyone has more detailed advise than above then I need to re-install but there is file I need.

So I can get in to CMD from the USB boot however because the files are behind my username I can not see them as I guess they are admin protected so how can I copy them out of my C: drive when I know they are there but can not see them?

Thoughts and help appreciated.

Thanks
Jon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

Hi

Welcome to the Bleeping computer forum  :welcome:

Navigating through command prompt requires some basic knowledge in DOS commands. I recommend downloading a small sized Linux live CD like Puppy Linux. This will give you full permission and a GUI interface. You can also use it to backup the data to an external medium in case of a re-install.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/puppy-5.2.8/lupu-528.005.iso

Read the below guide which describes restoring the registry backup to fix infinite repair loop. You can try Puppy instead of  the Windows install media.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/139576-startup-repair-infinite-loop-recovery.html

An excellent Video example :

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 31 May 2013 - 01:41 PM.

#3 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 970 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:38 PM

From what you are describing you probably don't have the option for system recovery. By any chance have you opted for system repair disk?

#4 funnyjon

funnyjon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:24 PM

@

Anshad Edavana

As per above, already done the registry restore technique but thanks.  The linux idea is good other than the fact my other PC is a Mac so will see if I can use that to burn it onto a bootable USB (as I don't have a DVD drive !!)

@

sikntired

Nope no system repair disk / recovery option

#5 funnyjon

funnyjon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:34 PM

this is now fixed