Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hd7870 performance problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cool69rtcharger

cool69rtcharger

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

Ok so it seems that I am having problems getting my new video card working as well as i think it should. I just bought the powercolor hd7870 pcs tahiti le and put it in my computer and I'm not seeing a jump in performance over my intel hd4000 that i had been running.

The problem I'm running into is that i cant seem to get much better fps over what my integrated hd4000 was getting even at a low res of 1024x768. I'm getting fps that drops below 50 in tf2 not much better then i was getting with my intel hd4000
and as low as 60 in killing floor. I have tried disabling the intel integrated and even uninstalling it. I have even uninstalled some of my games and reinstalled them with no effect on this problem. 

I have noticed that when running killing floor and even cs 1.6 I don't really notice any change in fps based on res or settings it stays in the same areas also if I have gpu z and windows task manager open on a different monitor when playing that I'm not getting more then about 30% gpu and cpu load and still getting fps drops into the 60 range

I don't know or think that my monitor could be a problem as its a old low res vga monitor that I am using a dvi to vga adapter to even use.

Here is a link to my computer parts that may give you some idea of the specs better then I can type off the top of my head.
www.pcpartpicker.com/p/11tlE

Im running windows 8 pro

catalyst 13.4 and have ran amd catalyst un-install utility before installing 13.4 a second time 

Any help would be appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:27 PM

Using FRAPS to get your framerate?

Reset all of your game defaults for video.  No AA, basic bilinear/trilinear, no synch etc.  You should be pushing close to 200 frames/second without AA at 1024X768.  AA (SSAA specifically) kills framerate, but even then it should push more FPS than what you are experiencing.  Go into your 3D section of the CCC and make sure nothing is set to override game defaults.  Make sure you don't have some sort of 8X AA or 16X anisotropic filtering overriding game settings.

How many monitors are you running?  What happens when you only run one?  I know you said it was only using 30% GPU, that is just odd.

Edited by dpunisher, 31 May 2013 - 03:28 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 cool69rtcharger

cool69rtcharger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:37 PM

I'm using the games to show me the fps not fraps with commands like cl_showfps 1 for hl based games and stat fps for killing floor.

I have been doing most of my testing with only one monitor i did hook up a tv through hdmi so i could watch gpu-z and task manager but it seems in some games the card may be working to full power and in others its not. In cs:go it maybe im not really sure and portal 2 my fps never dropped below 90 when playing it and that was showing high gpu load but in tf2 it shows low gpu load in the 40% and under range and fps dropping under 40 at times. I have tried resetting the video settings in some of the games and that may have worked for cs go but im not sure but portal 2 hadn't been installed on this windows install and that worked decent i guess

I did not see any change in fps range based on having a second monitor hooked up.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:30 PM

I'm using the games to show me the fps not fraps with commands like cl_showfps 1 for hl based games and stat fps for killing floor.

I have been doing most of my testing with only one monitor i did hook up a tv through hdmi so i could watch gpu-z and task manager but it seems in some games the card may be working to full power and in others its not. In cs:go it maybe im not really sure and portal 2 my fps never dropped below 90 when playing it and that was showing high gpu load but in tf2 it shows low gpu load in the 40% and under range and fps dropping under 40 at times. I have tried resetting the video settings in some of the games and that may have worked for cs go but im not sure but portal 2 hadn't been installed on this windows install and that worked decent i guess

I did not see any change in fps range based on having a second monitor hooked up.

Do you have V-Sync enabled for TF2?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 cool69rtcharger

cool69rtcharger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:37 PM

vsync is off or else i wouldn't be able to get the higher fps that I'm getting when nothing is going on in the games here is an image of my settings in tf2
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v350/cool69charger/tf2settings.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users