Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

having trouble turning computer on and off, now there is no sound

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 amyrutland

amyrutland

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:59 AM

Hi I have recently been having trouble turning on my windows 7 computer, it begins to load then the screan says no input and it turns straight off, after this I tried to turn it on again and the same happend, on the third attempt it began to load and came up with a screen asking me to click to repair, i did this and i took about 5 min and the computer loaded up like normal. when using the computer it seemed fine, internet speed was fine and everything was running like normal. When I tried to turn the computer ofd it says 'installing updates 1 to 12 do not turn of the power', so i let it do this and it turned of fine. The next day exactly the same thing happend, it took three attempts to turn on, then was fine, then installed updates when turning off. I knew there was a problem but couldnt work out what so ran an AVG virus scan. the scan came up with 4 threats 3 of which it repaired and on that it said could not be removed, the one that could not be removed was called HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\run\\AVP. I couldnt work out what to do and it was late so I turned the computer off and came back to it today. again it took several attempts to turn on and then seemed fine, however, when i tryed to play music no sound came out. I troubleshooted this and it says my speakers are not plugged in, they are and i have checked this very carfully, I also checked the speakers work in my cd player which they do. I ran the AVG virus scan again and it came up with the same 4 threats i removed 3 ( the same 3 i did yesterday) and the 4th  HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\run\\AVP would not allow me to removed it again. I have no idea what I am doing and need help urgently!!!  I am really not very tech savvy so am having a lot of difficulty understanding a lot of posts and have no idea how to fix my computer!!!

I hope someone can help me!! thanks in adavace

ps im not sure what files i am suppose to attach or how to do this.

Edited by hamluis, 31 May 2013 - 02:08 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:23 AM

Check for malware thoroughly, then run CleanUp as indicated below - then if needed run StartUp
Repair. There is also a link for a Repair Installation if needed (allows you to keep programs and
data).

If you need to check for malware here are my recommendations - these will allow you to do
a thorough check and removal without ending up with a load of spyware programs running
resident which can cause as many issues as the malware and maybe harder to detect as the
cause.

No one program can be relied upon to detect and remove all malware. Added that often easy
to detect malware is often accompanied by a much harder to detect and remove payload. So
its better to be overly thorough now than to pay the high price later. Check with these to an
extreme overkill point and then run the cleanup only when you are very sure the system is clean.

These can be done in Safe Mode - repeatedly tap F8 as you boot however you should also run
them in regular Windows when you can.

Download malwarebytes and scan with it, run MRT, and add Prevx to be sure it is gone.
(If Rootkits run UnHackMe)

Download - SAVE - go to where you put it - Right Click on it - RUN AS ADMIN

Malwarebytes - free
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Run the Microsoft Malicious Removal Tool

Start - type in Search box -> MRT find at top of list - Right Click on it - RUN AS ADMIN.

Edited by sikntired, 31 May 2013 - 11:25 AM.

#3 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:56 AM

Hi amyrutland,

If you followed previous recommendations you should also consider posting in the " Am I Infected Forum " where you can get some additional help from Advisors and Malware Response Team.

My intention was to help in identifying if malware was present and then to steer you to the appropriate forum.

Good Luck\

Mod Edit:  Moved topic to AII - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 31 May 2013 - 02:08 PM.

#4 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,070 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:25 PM

Please can you run some scans for me:

Download Security Check from here or here and save it to your Desktop.

• Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
  • Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

NOTE 1. If one of your security applications (e.g., third-party firewall) requests permission to allow DIG.EXE access the Internet, allow it to do so.
NOTE 2 SecurityCheck may produce some false warning(s), so leave the results reading to me.

Please download Farbar Service Scanner (FSS) and run it on the computer with the issue.

• Make sure the following options are checked:
    • Internet Services
    • Windows Firewall
    • System Restore
    • Security Center/Action Center
    • Windows Update
    • Windows Defender
    • Other Services
  • Press "Scan".
  • It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
  • Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (aka MBAM): https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/ to your desktop.

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then clickFinish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
Post the log back here.

Be sure to restart the computer.

The log can also be found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt
Or at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt

Download Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit from HERE to your Desktop.

• Unzip downloaded file.
  • Open the folder where the contents were unzipped and run mbar.exe
  • Follow the instructions in the wizard to update and allow the program to scan your computer for threats.
  • DO NOT click on the Cleanup button. Simply exit the program.
  • When done, please post the two logs produced they will be in the MBAR folder..... mbar-log-xxxxx.txt and system-log.txt

You can run these programs in safe mode if you want.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users