Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sandisk usb 32 gb flash drive reformatted to FAT32? Need to format back to RAW.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stoney500

stoney500

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:03 AM

Is this possible to format to raw? That's what was on the drive originally. I try to format to ntfs but it won't let me. Is raw a type of disk format? or is raw just an empty non formatted drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RajathAtDell

RajathAtDell

Authorized Dell Representative

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:37 PM

Hi stoney500,

The drive will show a RAW if that partition is corrupt. This can occur if the USB Flash drive was removed whilst writing data to the drive at the time it was removed. Please follow the steps provided below to format the drive in NTFS in Windows 7:

1.Insert the USB flash drive into the USB port.
2.Click "Start", type "devmgmt.msc" in the Search textbox and press "Enter."
3.Find "Disk Drives" and expand it.
4.Find the USB flash drive you want to format, and double-click it. It opens the "Properties" dialog box.
5.Click "Policies" tab.
6.By default, the "Optimize for quick removal" option selected, switch it to "Optimize for performance" and then press "OK."
7.Now open "Computer". Right click on the USB Flash Drive and select "Format". The Format dialog box now appears.
8.Select "NTFS" in the File System field.
9.Press "Start" and wait while the process completes.
10.Now your USB Flash Drive is formatted with the NTFS format.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Thanks and Regards,
Rajath N
#iworkfordell

#3 Glassyrajat

Glassyrajat

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:59 AM

@Rajath N...  You saved my life by your such an unique method.. i used almost all damn softwares to make my PenDrive workable, but amazed by your inbuilt trick.. 

Tonns of thanks.. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:17 AM

Hello, and Welcome to BC

Glad you were able to get your SD card formatted. Just a note: There is always a chance for data recovery on a RAW drive so it's best to try recovery first before doing a format.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users