Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop not recognizing HDMI connection to TV

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BambooP

BambooP

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:01 AM

Hi, I have a HP Pavillion g7 Notebook.  I have often connected my laptop to a tv via a hdmi cable to watch streamed movies, etc.  My laptop recognized the connection automatically, I never had to adjust any settings on my laptop or tv besides selecting the correct hdmi channel on the television.  I just bought a new Insignia 32" - LED - 1080p - 60Hz - HDTV Model: NS-32E440A13.  I also purchased a new Rocketfish HDMI cable.  When I got home, set up the TV, and connected my laptop via the cable.  The tv showed a black screen and a "NO SIGNAL" error.  I tried it for all 3 hdmi slots- no change.  I then cycled through all the different projector modes, and still nothing.  I tried going into control panel- hardware and sound- display- connect to an external display.  When I click on "Detect," my laptop does not recognize that it is connected to the tv.  I've tried rebooting, turning both devices off, unplugging the cable, removing the power from the tv, plugging back in the power to the tv, attaching the hdmi to the tv then the laptop, then turning on tv, then turning on the laptop, and many variations of these and still nothing.  I tested the hdmi cable on my dvd player, and it worked fine.  I also tried connecting my laptop to 2 other televisions (Panasonic and a Vizio) using other hdmi cables, and still got the "No Signal" error.  No problems show up in the Device Manager.  I wondered if a recent update or program I installed might have caused the problem, but when I attempted to do a system restore several times, I kept getting an error message that the restore had failed.  Any ideas?

Specs-

HP Pavillion g7 Notebook

Windows 7

64 bit

AMD Radeon HD 6480G

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:19 PM

Sounds like a problem either with the TV or the cable...

I find it amusing that you spent the least possible on a mediocre brand of TV but then bought one of the "higher end" Brand HDMI cables...

Either way it sounds like there it something wrong with your laptop, it could be a hardare or a software issue, have you tried different cables with the other TV's or just the Rocketfish? (Rocketfish have been known to have issues and their large housings at the ends sometimes cause issues with laptops.)

Edited by GreenGiant117, 31 May 2013 - 12:20 PM.

#3 BambooP

BambooP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:24 PM

The TV was a gift. :-)  The cables connected to the Panasonic and Vizio tvs were not Rocketfish, but I'm not certain of the brand. 

#4 BambooP

BambooP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:44 AM

So if it could be a hardware or a software issue- where do I start to diagnose the problem on my laptop?

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:21 AM

So if it could be a hardware or a software issue- where do I start to diagnose the problem on my laptop?

You might try booting into Safe Mode. I honestly don't recall/know if you can use the basic VGA driver that Windows will use in Safe Mode to display to a second screen by way of the HDMI port or not...but it is worth a check. If it does work, then that might suggest it is some issue with the AMD you currently have installed.

The variation on this would be try turning off startup items in msconfig.

The other thing to potentially try would be to create a new user account and see if that helps at all. I am kind of doubting that it will, but it does not hurt to try.

You also might try removing and reinstalling the graphics drivers.

#6 BambooP

BambooP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:28 PM

Okay, in safe mode it still doesn't work.  I was able to successfully run a system restore in safe mode to before the last system update.  Still no go.  I opened up AMD Control Center and it recognizes there's a monitor there but it says "analog crt disabled."  This is a LCD monitor.  I've seen this issue in several forums and no one has come up with a solution that seems to work.  What about BIOS?  Is there something there that I can check?

#7 BambooP

BambooP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:50 PM

Update: I just successfully connected the laptop to tv using a VGA cable.  And since the HDMI cable worked between my dvd player and the tv, it seems like there's a problem with my laptop's HDMI slot.  Is this something I can troubleshoot on my own (with the help of bleepingcomputer)?  Do I need to start a new post?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users