Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help on setting client email

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 john11139

john11139

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:46 AM

This seems to be a hard topic that many of  us cant understand. Espcially if you are a 73 old dummie, like me. I have a older computer with windows 7 on it and I think it might be on its last leg so I am trying to set another used computer I bought with windows 7 on it.  When I try to respond to a ad on Craigs list it says no client email set up.   So here goes, I will try and explain it the best I can.  I did set up a hot mail account, but dont use it. Dont know if windows live has been downloaded to it or not.  When I signed up for a computer service provider years ago, I went with Wal-Mart which provided a disc that automatically downloaded and cost $9.95 a month. (no high speed in my area at that time, had a computer with XPon it)  This worked fine and is very simple and easy for seniors to understand. Finally windows 7  came out and it no longer supported it.  by then high speed internet was available in my area, so I went with it. Provided by Windstream.net  (they set up a email account for it too but I didnt like it) I know that the wmconnect was supported by Netscape and now AOL shows up when I log on to my wmconnect.  I still liked wm connect so    a friend set up Windows 7 so when I log on to my email  it went to my wmconnect.  I have used this for about 5 years and works fine. (wm disc will not work on windows 7 so he had it set up so it went through Internet explorer or windows live, not sure) but how do I set this pop3 stuff and what goes where and exactly how should it be entered.  Do I have to enter Windstream.net some way since they are my High ISP,  (cant get ahold of friend) Can some one please walk me through it.  Of course if I call Windstream they wont talk to me because it is not a question about their email.  My log on to windows hot mail is dummie@hotmail.com or windstream it is dummie@windstream.net and my wm log is dummie@wmconnect.com My wm email seems to work fine on most things but when I try and send a email on some fourms or craig list it work and says client email not set up.  Help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:21 AM

Call you ISP and have them help you set this up.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:25 AM

Do you want to set up Windows Live Mail?

The first thing to do is find out if it is installed on your computer.

You can do this by going to your Start menu/All Programs and looking for Windows Live Mail.

If you see it open it up and configure one or both mails to work with WLM.

For Windstream mail see this https://windstream.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/465/~/windows-live-mail---setup

If you want to set it up for hotmail all you have do is follow the prompts and enter all the information. It will set it up automatically if Manually configure server settings is unchecked.

If not installed you will have to download Windows Live Essential from here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/essentials

Uncheck any features you don't want when asked what do you want to install.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 31 May 2013 - 08:48 AM.

#4 drwmbt

drwmbt

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:31 AM

Your problem is multi-faceted, it sounds like your trying to connect the email of your ISP to your Outlook application installed on your computer.

Check the website of your internet service provider (or email provider) to see if you can login thru a web based email service of theres to make sure you have the right user name and password.

Second, choose an email that you'd like to keep. You list many different emails at the end of your post and it contradicts previous statements about what exactly you're trying to do.

If you require all 3 email services please report back with each problem one at a time so that we can help you thru them as seqeuntially and organized as possible.

Thank you for contributing your post, It warms me to see older folks using technology, for like yourself and many others my aging parents/grandparents would not be able to keep in touch with family (much less finding long lost cousins and such) without it, and here at this forum we want to make sure you can do all that and more.

Edited by drwmbt, 31 May 2013 - 09:32 AM.

#5 john11139

john11139
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:43 PM

Really appreciate you everyone trying to help me.  Couple more questions.  My computer I am using now has windows 7 on it and my client  email is set up where it works fine.  Is there any way I can acess the email set up to see exactly what is typed where and on what lines so I can enter it the exactly same way on my other computer the same way, without the risk of deleting any thing?  I did get my windows live mail set up on my newer computer.  I tried to go ahead and enter the pop3 information but I must have got it wrong, so exactly how do I delete it and start over. I called my email provider and he said to call them when I was ready to set it up and they would walk me through it but I want to delete the information I entered in trying to set it up. Remember windstream.net is my high speed internet provider and for some reason I thought they had to be entered too but that is not the case I have been told as I want only my wmconnect.com to be my client email. (as I pay a monthly fee to them and it is eaiser to use.) It is through Netscape, which is a division of AOL. I think that is why I am having trouble typing the exact and right info on the right lines.  Thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users