Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Noisey PC - Possible HD Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shar987

shar987

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:44 AM

Hi,

I am using windows XP on a Dell Dimention PC and my pc makes a kind of whirring noise - has been like this for the last couple of weeks.  It was also running slow and seemed to take a while to load pages while using the internet.

I posted in the malware forum and have that end of things sorted out, I had hidden programs running on start up etc.   The pc is running faster than it was but i still have the whirring noise.  It does seem to get lounder with the more windows I open up, kind of seems like it is working overtime to give me the info I want.

Is this something you guys can help with or have you any suggestions or checks I could do?  Thanks in advance,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:26 AM

Unplug the hard drive.  Boot it up.  Noise gone=wonky hard drive.  Noise still there, likely a fan.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 shar987

shar987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:19 PM

Hi dpunisher,

how would i unplug the hd ?

s

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:35 AM

You will need to open up the case and locate the hard drive...it will be a black rectangular cube with a silver top and a circuit board on the bottom of it...and will be about 3" wide and a 1/2" or so tall and about 4" long. It will have two cables connected to it...a data cable and power cable. Disconnect (pull out) both cables. The drive is disconnected.

When you are ready to reconnect it, just plug those cables back in.

If you provide a specific Dell Dimension model, I can likely find you the manual on Dell's site and it will likely have specific instructions (potentially with images/graphics) to help you.

Edited by smax013, 01 June 2013 - 12:37 AM.

#5 shar987

shar987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:54 AM

Cheers smax013, I will give it a go, should be ok as you've made it clear - will post when I've done it, hope to get the chance later today, :)

#6 shar987

shar987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:41 PM

Looks like it is the hd but I just found out my friend is having someone over to look at an issue they are having and think I will get him to have a look at mine.  Thanks very much for your help. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users