Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

white screen after log in, is it a virus and how do i fix?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 spencerc232

spencerc232

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:27 PM

hello there, im having an issue with a friends laptop, he runs windows 7 on an ASUS k53e, after i turn on the computer and log in after the log in screen i get a white screen, i can log in using safe mode but i havent been able to find the virus that is doing this when i normally boot, please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:15 AM

Well...if it were me, I would think that a damaged profile might result in a white screen...before I assumed that it was an indication of malware.  I'd log in using safe mode and create a new profile or try the Win 7 profile repair process...before assuming that it's something else.

Fix a corrupted user profile, Win 7 - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Louis

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:43 PM

It may be an issue with the display adapter driver. When you boot into safe mode, it disables the video apapter driver you normally use and loads a generic one. Try updating the display driver in safe mode.

Other causes of white screens are often identical to causes of black screens, usually an indication that a system file or files or corrupt or damaged. You might want to try a startup repair if it's not the display adapter driver.

#4 darkluis12

darkluis12

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:00 PM

After you log in and you get the white screen, click on the power button to shut down the laptop, if it get an image right before it shuts down then  you have the FBI Virus.

A lot of times the FBI Virus makes the computer to boot with a white screen instead of the typical blocking image that asks you to pay some money. I recommend you to run MalwareBytes on safe mode. If it is the virus and MalwareBytes didn't fix it, then post in here and I can help you to remove it manually.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:34 AM

I recommend you to run MalwareBytes on safe mode. If it is the virus and MalwareBytes didn't fix it, then post in here and I can help you to remove it manually.

Rather than do that...I suggest that you let us know and we'll move this topic to the Am I Infected forum here at BC.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users