Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Shuts off if CPU hits 100% just for a minute

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Moltres Rider

Moltres Rider

• Banned
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:24 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop... Vista was preinstalled but did a clean upgrade to windows 7 Ultimate shortly after its release... my computer shuts off automatically if CPU is at 100% for only a minute or so... It is not an over heating problem because when the computer shuts off I feel the outside edges of the computer and the computer is NOT hot... it doesn't shut down, it is off completely and the hard drives don't wind down or anything (or just doesn't sound like it) everything just abruptly stops when the computer shuts off!!! it's really a BIG problem that my computer abruptly shuts off because I do a lot of freelance music and video rendering for people who ask... and most of the times it hits 100% is during those renderings and it is costing me money having to restart or even completely redo work for people due to this issue!!!

Edited by Moltres Rider, 30 May 2013 - 08:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:55 PM

The computer itself does not have to be hot to overheat, just the CPU. I would recommend checking your temperatures using speed fan and seeing if there are any abnormal temperatures. This could be because of a dead fan, cracked or dry thermal paste, or a broken heatsink.

Speedfan: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Go to the "Exotic" tab and see if anything looks unusually hot. CPU's will shut off if they reach their T-case, or the maximum heat they can handle.

Unofficial iOS Genius

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users