Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Radeon HD 7950 Installed, but Monitor is Unresponsive

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TUNADRAGONTACOCOW

TUNADRAGONTACOCOW

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:40 PM

I recently received a new GIGABYTE Radeon HD 7950 graphics card for my birthday. I removed my old Radeon HD 6850 ICEQ X Turbo and connected the new card, through the PCI-E and GPU slot, I started up my computer to install the drivers and make sure everything was working dandy. But I didn't get that far. My monitor was unrepsonsive, and detected no signal from the computer. I could tell it was connecting with the cable though, as indicated by the light on my monitor that assured me it was "thinking", yet no signal came. I did some researching on my iPod and eventually reinstalled my 6850 to try some things.

As of now, I have two hypotheses. It's either:
A) My power source, which is only 430w where the 7950 needs 500w. The strange thing is that the 6850 ALSO needs 500w but it runs fine (as far as I can tell). I also read that usually when you try to run a card with a power source under the requirements, the computer just won't start up fully. My friend also had that happen to him. It could very well be that though, that I need a larger power source.

B)Or it's the BIOS in my computer. This one is a bit trickier. I thought it might be that my BIOS needed updating in order to recognize the new graphics card, in case it didn't have any clue what a Radeon HD 7950 was. However, after going on the HP website and finding my model (HPE-410f) there were no BIOS updates available. Now, the last version was 6.07 and was in 2011. So that seems a bit dated to me, that might just mean it's fine and dandy and doesn't need to be updated, but I am unsure of this. I tried to find information about the BIOS itself, which was by American Megatrends Inc. I don't know which lines are important so I'll include them all along with a picture of what I found on my motherboard: 686, AMBIOS®, ©1999, FE74, 9775. I don't even know if that's useful information. In relation, I was informed by the internet many times that my BIOS and motherboard need to match or compliment each other. I can't find any indication on my motherboard of what it is, model or manufacturer. According to HP and a program called PC Wizard, I have a FOXCONN 2AB1. However, my computer was refurbished in the Summer of 2011, not long after I received it as it was a floor model and the motherboard was fried. I don't know if they replaced it with the same motherboard (though I assume they did), but like I said I still can't find any recognition of a manufacturer on the actual motherboard. Anyways, after learning that there was no update for my BIOS I did more researching and stumbled on some forums mentioning "Flashing the BIOS" which looks to me like it updates your BIOS to work with that graphics card, specifically theses flashes were from the GIGABYTE website. On the website I was told to make sure that the flash BIOS version I picked should match that of my BIOS and motherboard, but I have no idea how to determine that. So, I'm rather stuck on the BIOS issue.

If you think that it could be anything else or have information in relation to my hypotheses, I appreciate any input and advice that could get this resolved.

Thank you,
TUNADRAONGTACOCOW

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:45 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Let's run your computer with a video card that works so we can gather some important information about your current motherboard, BIOS revision and a few other tid-bits.

How To Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Guide Overview

The purpose of this guide is to teach you how to post your computer's specifications to the forum with minimal effort on your part. This is often helpful when troubleshooting problems, and the person helping you needs to see the details of your computer's hardware.

Tools Needed

• Speccy - First, you will need a program called Speccy. From Piriform's website: "Speccy is an advanced system information tool for your PC." This is a very useful utility that every PC user should have in their arsenal.

Instructions

• Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.

Next, click Download from Piriform (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

• After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

• Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    JmYsp.png

Now, in the menu bar at the top left, click File > Publish Snapshot

You will see the following prompt:
    publish.png

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

copydi.png

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the replyji.png button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Once you have posted your Speccy snapshot, it will be reviewed and a reply will be offered to you as soon as time permits.

Thank You For Choosing Bleeping Computer For computer related Help And Assistance

Once you have posted that, well discuss why your video card is not displaying anything via your monitor, I can almost answer that question and it is not a bad answer at all, I just want to have the whole picture here before I start recommending what to do next and this Speccy snap shot will help a lot.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 TUNADRAGONTACOCOW

TUNADRAGONTACOCOW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:32 AM

Hi Bruce. Thanks for replying so quickly. I've gotten help here before and the support has been fantastic. I did as you asked and here's the link:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/ONzqPr45eJL5H6YTCQq36kM

I would also like to let you know that I have a new 850w power source on its way here. Also, is it recommended that I paste my basic computer info into my signature? I tried looking for something in the forum rules that mentioned that, but couldn't find anything. I've seen that on other forums and was wondering if it's an "unspoken rule" to have it there.

Thanks a lot Bruce

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:26 PM

Also, is it recommended that I paste my basic computer info into my signature? I tried looking for something in the forum rules that mentioned that, but couldn't find anything. I've seen that on other forums and was wondering if it's an "unspoken rule" to have it there.

Thanks a lot Bruce

You are allowed to post your computer setup in your signature. There is a slight limit on how much space it takes up at the bottom of each post you make. If you can keep the font side at reasonable size, you can get away with several lines of text. Try adding it and I'll see if I feel you are over the size limit. Also like my signature, you are allowed to use colored lettering.

I'll reply back once I am done going through your Speccy snap shot.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 31 May 2013 - 01:28 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:11 PM

First I want to add to this topic what Speccy listed your motherboard as being:

Motherboard

Manufacturer: 
FOXCONN
Model: 
2AB1 (CPU 1)
Chipset Vendor: 
AMD
Chipset Model: 
785G
Chipset Revision: 
Southbridge Vendor: 
AMD
Southbridge Model: 
SB700
Southbridge Revision: 
System Temperature: 
47 °C
BIOS
Brand: 
American Megatrends Inc.
Version: 
Date: 
04/05/2011

Your BIOS is dated 04/05/2011, That's not that long ago.

Next let's take a look at your monitor.

Monitor
Name: 
S230HL on AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
Current Resolution: 
1920x1080 pixels
Work Resolution: 
1920x1040 pixels
State: 
Enabled, Primary, Output devices support
Monitor Width: 
Monitor Height: 
Monitor BPP: 
32 bits per pixel
Monitor Frequency: 
60 Hz
Device: 
Display: monitor 1

This is your monitor

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/ET.VS0HP.A03

Now I had an issue with an EVGA e-GeForce 7800 GS Superclocked 256MB GDDR 3 AGP 8X video card not displaying anything on my Acer P205H flat screen monitor. What I did was I went into the BIOS and unchecked PLUG & PLAY OS INSTALLED and saved the setting to the CMOS.

Next because I was using the DVI cable I went into my monitor's menu screen briefly and exited it without touching any settings. From that point on my monitor worked. Now I am not saying the BIOS change fixed the problem, what really may have happened is going into my monitor's setup screen may have caused it to acknowledge the video data stream, thus it synced with the intelligence of the video processor and now produces a picture on the screen.

Bruce.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

Here is some basic information about your monitor:

23" widescreen LCD display - 1366 x 768 resolution - 16:9 aspect ratio - 100 million:1 contrast ratio - 5ms response time - 60Hz refresh rate - VGA - DVI (HDCP)

Now on the FOXCON web site it lists two possible motherboards. They are listed as the following:

Cinema II Deluxe

And

Cinema II Premium

Now below I am going to attempt to add links to this topic for those two, however, I am not sure if the links will work at linking this topic to their content. So I have to test those links once I have published this post and hope those links work flawlessly.

Link #1 ---

Cinema II Deluxe

http://www.foxconnsupport.com/download.aspx?models=en-us0000472&category=C000000001&brand=en-us0000002&Series=en-us0000012&chipset=en-us0000152&keywords=&sort=

Link #2 ---

Cinema II Premium

http://www.foxconnsupport.com/download.aspx?models=en-us0000477&category=C000000001&brand=en-us0000002&Series=en-us0000012&chipset=en-us0000152&keywords=&sort=

Let me post this and test those links, hopefully they work.

EDIT: They worked at my end, however because those pages are in my cache now, I need you to tell me if those links worked or not.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 31 May 2013 - 02:36 PM.

#7 TUNADRAGONTACOCOW

TUNADRAGONTACOCOW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:44 PM

Both those links work. However, neither looks like what my motherboard looks like. In reference to the monitor, I have tried entering and exiting my monitor settings while my new card was plugged in but that didn't work. The one strange thing that your analysis/monitor information didn't include was that it has HDMI capability, which my monitor has two ports for. I am using HDMI on my monitor, and I think this is the actual one I'm using.

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/ET.VS0HP.A01

I have an HDTV that I could try hooking it up to instead of on my acer monitor.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:02 PM

Thanks for that monitor link it appears that they added three letters to the end of the model number such as 230HL ABii and I linked you to the S230HL Abd. Sorry about the confusion concerning that it is just that they seem to be using those 3 numbers in a lot of their model numbers.

Also, it appears some how foxconn sent me the wrong way, I did wonder why it says Cinema II Premium and Deluxe.

Can you locate your motherboard on the foxconn web site for me? http://www.foxconnchannel.com/

Bruce.

#9 TUNADRAGONTACOCOW

TUNADRAGONTACOCOW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:33 AM

It's no problem. We all make mistakes after all.

I can't find anything about a Foxconn 2AB1 motherboard on their website, it's like it never existed. But I found this link which gives all the specs and information: http://www.findlaptopdriver.com/foxconn-motherboard-2ab1-specs-12242010h37/

I did find a link in another forum that was supposed to link to the page for the 2AB1 on foxconnchannel.com, but it redirected to a page that said:

"The page you have requested cannot be found, may have been renamed, moved or is no longer available."

Maybe they deleted it off of their website? I can't imagine why but in any case it isn't there. I can't completely confirm that this is my motherboard, because the highest resolution images I can find are only 220x190 pixels, which isn't very clear. However, it does look more like my motherboard from what I can see.

Edited by TUNADRAGONTACOCOW, 01 June 2013 - 01:35 AM.

#10 Burritojoe

Burritojoe

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:21 PM

So I have recently come across this problem with a Bios TA970 motherboard and the exact same video card. Make sure that you have your power supply connected completely. The TA 970 has 2 ATX power plug ins. One is very obvious but for these new motherboards it appears there are 2 different "sides" that need to be powered. As soon as I plugged it in and turned the PC on it worked like a charm.

#11 TUNADRAGONTACOCOW

TUNADRAGONTACOCOW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:28 AM

Thanks for the reply Burritojoe, I had this resolved awhile ago and should have replied to this sooner (shame on me). Our situations were suprisingly similar; what I didn't realize was that the graphics card had TWO PCI-E slot requirements. After that is was easy... besides the fact that it took me six hours to connect all the stupid things because I had no space in my tower FFS...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users