Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Run chkdsk periodically even if nothing wrong?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:01 PM

Should chkdsk be run periodically even if nothing appears to be amiss? Comments?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:32 PM

Well -

I ran it yesterday on 2 computers, so I must be one of those that runs it every few months just to check.

Both were run under ( /r ) in case there was a problem, and I know this borrowed XP is always needing checking.

I always read the results, or I feel there is no use in running the check -

Regards -

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:21 PM

Chkdsk is a disk error checking utility that verifies the logical integrity of a file system. Chkdsk scans the hard drive and will check the files and folders for file system errors, lost clusters, lost chains, cross-linked files and inconsistent directories and bad sectors. When encountering logical inconsistencies in file system data, chkdsk will perform the necessary actions to repair the file system data.

Running Chkdsk is one of the first (and easiest) troubleshooting tools which can be used to check the health of your computer and resolve various issues. Many users regularly run utilities like Chkdsk and Defrag as a part of their overall computer maintenance schedule but it is most commonly used when experiencing hard drive related errors and fix them.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users