Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Judge Judy - the TV Reality Show

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:54 PM

The highly popular TV program "Judge Judy" is a semi-legalised spoof opera portraying what appears to be a genuine courtroom drama of actual cases.

You can read all about the "Judge Judy" set-up on the web, it is all explained in finite detail. Here is a short description.

Judge Judy is played by Judith Sheindlin a former 1965 Lawyer who in 1982 was appointed a Judge in the Manhattan small claims family court system. She retired in 1996. Currently she has no license to practice in law.

She was engaged by a Los Angeles TV company to play Judge Judy in their 1996 launch of the current Reality Courtroom Show series of the same name. The show became an instant hit.

Judith Sheindlin receives an annual salary exceeding $45 million dollars and her net accrued worth is about $95 million.

The show itself is a TV Reality series, it is NOT a real courtroom drama. It is a Hollywood adaptation of an Arbitration Court with legal backing. The program organisers, select the contestants from people who have filed small claims in the real Courts, but not yet had their cases heard. They are offered this TV arbitration option with all the freebie enticements, for which they then have to sign contracts like all other actors and have to accept the TV arbitration findings as binding.

There is no appeal against an arbitration decision and anybody can be an Arbitrator, no licence or qualifications are needed.

Nobody loses. The contestants get free travel to and from LA with all Hotel and other expenses paid. Nobody pays anything. Any claimant granted a financial payment is paid by the TV  company up to a limit of $5,000. The loser pays nothing.

All it amounts to a big jolly holiday for the contestants in LA with all expenses paid. Everybody wins and smiles all round.

So, a great entertaining show - YES, but no more than a TV spoof series where dear 70 year old Judith makes an increasingly higher personal fortune with every show at $125,000 per episode, to place her at position 13 in the list of America's richest female actresses.

​PS, Moderator - I apologise for the font size, it is a copy/paste job from my Email account and I do not know what has gone wrong. Could you kindly reduce the font size to suit your norm ?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 30 May 2013 - 05:24 PM.
edited to reduce font size

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:17 PM

You should have included a link to the original content.

Although copy and paste could be disputed by the original publisher as plagiarism, it is best to at least quote who the original publisher is. A simple Google search would allow the original publisher to see this content on another website and some feel offended and quote it as using their content without giving proper credit to who they are.

Can you please supply the link to this content?

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 30 May 2013 - 05:20 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:27 PM

You should also clearly define a quote by using the quote function.

#4 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:28 PM

You should have included a link to the original content.

Although copy and paste could be disputed by the original publisher as plagiarism, it is best to at least quote who the original publisher is. A simple Google search would allow the original publisher to see this content on another website and some feel offended and quote it as using content without giving proper credit.

Can you please supply the link to this content?

Bruce.

THERE IS NO LINK OR ORIGINAL PUBLISHER - IT ALL MY OWN WORK and I resent the implication that I am being dishonest. An apology would be much appreciated.

I expected a comment that I had copied a text of some other person's creation or a link.

I have NOT done anything of the kind, I researched the subject, compiled my own script on my Email account, copied it and pasted it,  just like any other subject of personal interest. It is common practice in all educational and reporting activities.

Copy and paste is not exclusive to cribbing others work or reproducing articles, it is a facility used liberally in all text processing compilations.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:33 PM

I expected a comment that I had copied a text of some other person's creation or a link.
I have NOT done anything of the kind, I researched the subject, compiled my own script on my Email account, copied it and pasted it, just like any other subject of personal interest. It is common practice in all educational and reporting activities.

You did not make that clear in your first post. All you said was "it is a copy/paste job from my Email account". We were not able to determine if you copied it from an email someone else sent you and if this was case whether that person copy/pasted someone else's work or if you composed it yourself.

If you expected it, at the very least you should have stated it was your own work.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 30 May 2013 - 05:38 PM.

#6 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:04 PM

I have NOT done anything of the kind, I researched the subject, compiled my own script on my Email account, copied it and pasted it, just like any other subject of personal interest. It is common practice in all educational and reporting activities.

You did not make that clear in your first post. All you said was "it is a copy/paste job from my Email account". We were not able to determine if you copied it from an email someone else sent you and if this was case whether that person copy/pasted someone else's work or if you composed it yourself.

If you expected it, at the very least you should have stated it was your own work.

I would like to make it very clear that I NEVER place copied posts on Forums, every post I make is MY own work. I do not need  to copy other peoples work,  my considerable experience and educational standard is more than adequate to express my own ability.

I am very sorry that my liberal reference to "copy and paste" created so much excitement and adverse comments.

I used the expression to explain why the text turned out enormous on BC. I use my Email account as a notepad for compiling many reports and posts prior to placing them on a Forum or other source by copy/paste.

The procedure employed for Judge Judy is identical to any other subject, fundamental to basic  reporting and investigational procedures employed in all  activities concerning educational research and professional activities.

This post is entirely the result of investigating the subject, quoting relevant information just like any other individual report ever compiled by anybody, anywhere.

I posted it as being a topical subject of interest to many people and now hope that the thread can proceed normally. If it is too problematic, please delete it. I will post it elsewhere.

Edited by yabbadoo, 30 May 2013 - 07:35 PM.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:27 PM

Okay, no one meant to upset you in anyway.

You did not make clear in your first post that it was your own creation.

Being that I have been with Bleeping Computer for several years now, there have been times doing my research that I copied and pasted content from another web site into several of my responses. I am not the Bleeping Computer Administrator, Grinler is the registered owner of Bleeping Computer.com It has been brought to his attention that content on his web site was copied and pasted by me and no credit or mention was made by me that someone else composed that content.

Google is a great search engine, it displays content based on a series of words put together. It also can alert a person who spent many hours composing web based content, that someone has stolen their work and re-published it on another web site.

It is of course up to the original composer, if they will allow any part of their publication to be used on another web site. other than a link to it. If they feel copy-write infringement has been breached, they can force the web master to remove all of their content, with the exception of the URL. 

So I was merely acting on what you left me with and as a representative of Bleeping Computer I acted based on what information you made available. 

If it was my work of art, I would have signed it as such.

It was not my intent to piss you off or have you leave Bleeping Computer, if it was your web site, I would have been watching your back just the same.

I will however, apologize to you, not because an Admin asked me to, but because I want to.

Please, next time you publish anything on the web and it is your content, make sure you let everyone know you created it and credit will be given to the rightful person.

Kind regards and no hard feelings from me.

Bruce.  

Edited by MrBruce1959, 30 May 2013 - 08:29 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:24 AM

Okay, no one meant to upset you in anyway.

You did not make clear in your first post that it was your own creation.

Please, next time you publish anything on the web and it is your content, make sure you let everyone know you created it and credit will be given to the rightful person.

Kind regards and no hard feelings from me.

Bruce.  

Dear Bruce,

I do so much appreciate your full reply, much of which I have not copied here. Thank you most sincerely for being considerate.

May I make it quite clear that posts on Forums do not have to be signed in blood and registered with a solicitor as being legally the sole work of the writer before posting. You should know  that. The implication otherwise is ridiculous. I am not in the business of cribbing other peoples work by simply  copying it and attempting to take the credit.

Every post or report I issue, will be under my name and I am not obliged to provide evidence to the contrary or to specify that the text is mine and mine alone. I follow the basic  principles of all reporting, I do my homework and then compile a report. Having compiled hundreds of reports in my life on a wide variety of subjects from highly technical to general topics, I see no reason to alter long standing established educational and professional procedures.

Forums are supposed to be fun, not a legal minefield.

I posted this subject as an informative and  fun topic concerning a popular TV show in order to give the members something to bite into and enjoy. In view of the change in direction it has taken, where I am on trial for alleged lack of integrity and cheating, I am withdrawing from it. I suggest that the thread be deleted as it no longer serves any useful purpose.

In future I will avoid the BC chat sections and confine my activities to purely computer matters where the subject does not give rise to suspicious minds and accusations of cheating. Meanwhile I will post my article elsewhere in a more receptive environment.

I am sincerely grateful for your explanation. Thank you.

Yabba

Edited by yabbadoo, 31 May 2013 - 05:18 AM.

#9 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,632 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:47 AM

Back to the topic at hand...

Sure, its a reality show. And everything else that Yabbadoo says. but I love it, and so does everyone else in my neighborhood. And Judge Judy earns every cent she makes, and I don't begrudge her anything.

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#10 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:55 AM

Back to the topic at hand...

Sure, its a reality show. And everything else that Yabbadoo says. but I love it, and so does everyone else in my neighborhood. And Judge Judy earns every cent she makes, and I don't begrudge her anything.

Well said and  thanks for recognising the actual topic and  putting the train back on track.

Edited by yabbadoo, 31 May 2013 - 05:56 AM.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

Me personally, I just love listening to Judge Judy's snappy comebacks and witty analysis of the people that are standing before her.

It is for that reason I could watch hours of her ranting and requesting answers in a split second--

"you must be lying because it took you more than a second to answer my question and don't look at her, look at me!!"

"You're a piece of work....I don't know what she sees in you...I think your a jerk!!"

Long live Judith!

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 31 May 2013 - 12:06 PM.

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:09 PM

San Francisco 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh draws inspiration from Judge Judy:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap2000000143923/Jim-Harbaugh-draws-inspiration-from-Judge-Judy

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#13 Rana125

Rana125

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:04 AM

San Francisco 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh draws inspiration from Judge Judy:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap2000000143923/Jim-Harbaugh-draws-inspiration-from-Judge-Judy

Now that is brilliant. I am big fan of the Harbaugh brothers.

Judge Judy definitely has got sound advice at times. I love her. She's a no-nonsense type of woman.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users