Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will not boot after installing additional RAM

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pwieth

pwieth

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:45 PM

I have a custom made desktop computer with an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard.  The motherboard has four slots and the Asus specs says it should be able to handle up to 8 GB memory.  I run XP professional 32 bt, so there is no point in putting more than 4 GB in the machine.  For the past 5 years, I have had two 1GB cards which have worked fine (Princeton VPM800NU005/1GB/K).  I want to expand to four 1 GB cards.  I bought two Spectek 1 GB DDR2 - 800 cards to go in the vacant slots.  When I put in all four cards, the computer will not boot.

When I put the old cards in the once vacant slots, the computer recognizes 2 GB, so all of the slots work fine.  When I pull out the old RAM and put in the two new RAMs, the computer recognizes the 2 GB cards and everything works fine. All the slots work, all the RAM works, they just won't work all together.  The builder can't explain it.  Please help!

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

Looking at a picture of your mobo on the ASUS web-site, it appears you have two yellow and two black RAM slots. All I can suggest is that you try putting your old sticks in, say, the yellow slots and your new ones in the black ones.

Different makes of RAM are notorious for not playng nice with each other.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:00 PM

Hello pwieth -
You may find, like I did on one of my older computers, that you need to match all 4 sticks.
I fitted 2 + 2 and had similar problems, but 4 matched ones fixed that problem.

Also see similar reply above from Chris Cosgrove.

Thank You -

#4 pwieth

pwieth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:59 AM

Thanks for both suggestions.  You are correct, different sticks from different manufacturers don't mix well.  Unfortunately, the solution was not to use my perfectly good old RAM, but instead buy two identical 2GB sticks and install them.  They work fine in either the 1&3 or 2&4 slots.  All four 1GB sticks had the same speed and voltage, but for some reason just would not work together.

#5 Geeky1

Geeky1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2016 - 04:38 PM

Looking at a picture of your mobo on the ASUS web-site, it appears you have two yellow and two black RAM slots. All I can suggest is that you try putting your old sticks in, say, the yellow slots and your new ones in the black ones.

Different makes of RAM are notorious for not playng nice with each other.

Chris Cosgrove

This is an old thread, but I thought I'd correct some info in case someone else comes upon it in a search.

The colors do not always mean the matching sticks go in the same colors. I have an older ASUS board that also has 2 yellow slots next to each other and 2 black slots next to each other. However, they are labeled A1, B1, A2, B2, such that A1 and B1 are yellow and A2 and B2 are black. Two matching sticks have to go in A1 and A2 and the other matching pair goes in B1 and B2. I don't know why they use this color scheme as it is confusing and can lead to putting the wrong sticks in the wrong slots. The important thing is to make sure each pair matches in size, speed, and timing. You can larger and/or slower pairs as long as each pair matches.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users