Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

automatic recovery from Sleep mode

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Whinger

Whinger

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:13 PM

After several hours in sleep mode from a Limited account the computer became active with a lot of hard drive activity. Is this abnormal behaviour?

I have the following programs installed:

Microsoft Security Essentials

Firefox + 2 addons - Foxit Reader & Shockwave Flash

And the following turned on:

Windows Firewall

Windows Update

I also notice a lot of hard drive activity when first powered on - which I guessed might be due to the automatic updates.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,214 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:56 PM

That will happen. When coming out of sleep mode, the computer has to restart a number of services and applications, and may have to pull memory from the page file. Nothing all that unusual about that, unless the RAM and CPU counters max out completely.

#3 Whinger

Whinger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:51 PM

I didn't make myself clear. The computer came out of sleep mode by itself without any input. Is that abnormal?

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:56 PM

You can disable the "wake on" settings, that's a start. There are also wake-on settings associated with your network driver that are accessible via the device manager, and you also need to disable wakeup via USB devices (mouse and keyboard). You can find these settings, too, if you search for the them. They're also available in the device manager under "mouse" and "keyboard" when running it as admin, in the "Power Management" tab for those devices. Once you've turned off the ability of the network, and keyboard and mouse to wake your computer from sleep, you'll be good.

Then, in order to wake your computer from sleep, you'll just need a quick press of the power button, and that's the only thing that will wake your computer.

edit: can also be Windows updates, scheduled defag and the like too.

Edited by TsVk!, 30 May 2013 - 07:02 PM.

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,214 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

You can set a computer to automatically wake from sleep mode. The computer will do this on its own to run certain automated tasks. If you have the wake on LAN feature set, a computer will also automatically wake from sleep mode if prompted by a network service to do so.

So the short answer is, what was the computer doing when it woke from sleep mode and are your settings set to wake the computer on certain tasks?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users