Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

running slow, time and date, bios flash

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 orangejello42

orangejello42

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:04 PM

hello!

i was referred here by nasdaq for some help with my laptop!

it started out with a redirect virus, which seems to be gone, have run several programs, disabled and removed certain others.

the result at the moment is that one of my svchosts keeps maxing out my cpu, causing everything to run extremely slow. i am not sure if i disabled something that i shouldnt have, or am missing something? also, my date and time have been resetting for some time, we tried to create autoexec.bat, which helped, but it has still slowed down both ways, the time being continuously wrong, and my entire system being slow.

i realize my laptop is kind of old, (8 years) but it was running smoothly until just before all of this happened (aside from the time, which has been a while, and also not a huge concern, from what i understand there is an internal battery that keeps it up to date that may be on its way out).

any rate, nasdaq said this:

"The lost of the power from your Motherboard battery may have damage the BIOS, it may need to be flashed."

which is why i am here!

here is my previous thread if needed:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/492444/website-redirecting-not-search-engine-redirect/

if this or is not a solution/issue, any help is much appreciated! thank you so much!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:49 PM

Hello and welcome to the Bleeping Computer hardware forum.

I wish to help you with your problem, what I need from you first is some information about your computer. Please follow my instructions below and we'll get started on resolving this issue.

How To Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Guide Overview

The purpose of this guide is to teach you how to post your computer's specifications to the forum with minimal effort on your part. This is often helpful when troubleshooting problems, and the person helping you needs to see the details of your computer's hardware.

Tools Needed
  • Speccy - First, you will need a program called Speccy. From Piriform's website: "Speccy is an advanced system information tool for your PC." This is a very useful utility that every PC user should have in their arsenal.
Instructions
  • Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.

Next, click Download from Piriform (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.
  • After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.
  • Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    JmYsp.png

Now, in the menu bar at the top left, click File > Publish Snapshot

You will see the following prompt:
    publish.png

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

copydi.png

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the replyji.png button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.
Once you have posted your Speccy snapshot, it will be reviewed and a reply will be offered to you as soon as time permits.

Thank You For Choosing Bleeping Computer For computer related Help And Assistance

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 30 May 2013 - 02:56 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 orangejello42

orangejello42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:41 AM

thank you! also thanks for the quick response :)

here is the link

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/HbsS0a8Ut2iuCVTzLlvLQRv

edit*** i had also mentioned in my other thread, regarding not enough processes running, i usually average around 53 processes or so, and it is down to 45, hence why i feel something got turned off/disabled by mistake. thanks again for your help!

Edited by orangejello42, 31 May 2013 - 09:57 AM.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:51 PM

Okay first thing I want to cover is your laptop is capable of having more memory added to it because you have one empty slot. Plus you could start off with a larger memory stick in slot #1. Right now, you only have 504 MegaBytes of memory installed. To make things easier for you, I am posting this information below so you know what type of memory you have.

Slot #1
Type: 
DDR
Size: 
256 MBytes
Manufacturer: 
Hyundai Electronics
Max Bandwidth: 
PC2700 (166 MHz)
Part Number: 
HYMD532M646CP6J
Serial Number: 
FFFF1149
Week/year: 
51 / 05
SPD Ext.: 
EPP
JEDEC #2
Frequency: 
166.7 MHz
CAS# Latency: 
RAS# To CAS#: 
RAS# Precharge: 
tRAS: 
Voltage: 
2.500 V

JEDEC #1
Frequency: 
133.3 MHz
CAS# Latency: 
RAS# To CAS#: 
RAS# Precharge: 
tRAS: 
Voltage: 
2.500 V

Purchasing memory based on that information you should try to go with at least 2 GigaHertz also known as 2GB. If you can spare the money, go with 3GBs, more than that with Windows XP 32 bit is a waste, so don't go higher than 3GB.

Adding that memory will speed your system up quite a bit.

As for as services goes, I looked and did not see any services that looked unusually alarming, I do want to research some things that I believe AVAST is the possible red flag you are seeing.

Here is a bit of what I am referring to:

Current TCP Connections

C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastSvc.exe (1436)
Local 127.0.0.1:12025: 
LISTEN
Local 127.0.0.1:12080: 
LISTEN
Local 127.0.0.1:12110: 
LISTEN
Local 127.0.0.1:12119: 
LISTEN
Local 127.0.0.1:12143: 
LISTEN
Local 127.0.0.1:12465: 
LISTEN
Local 127.0.0.1:12563: 
LISTEN
Local 127.0.0.1:12993: 
LISTEN
Local 127.0.0.1:12995: 
LISTEN
Local 127.0.0.1:27275: 
LISTEN
Local 192.168.1.4:2532: 
ESTABLISHED Remote 77.234.42.56:80 (Querying... ) (HTTP)

There are instances where your communications ports are being listened to for activity, often this is being conducted by a firewall related program. AVAST could be listening to your PORTS and also Windows built in firewall, to which is installed on Windows XP OSes.

For the most part, I suggest you add some memory to this laptop, older memory is cheap these days, if you can not find it locally, try on-line computer parts suppliers or E-Bay.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 orangejello42

orangejello42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:39 PM

i have looked into more ram, i have found crucial memory (website) to be pretty cheap, just havent had the fund to do so. their website also suggested i not go over 1.25gb for my specific laptop model, but if you think it can handle 2gb i may try that.

as for avast and the firewalls, i just installed it about 2-3 weeks ago, i had trend micro pccillin before which was out of date (also due to lack of funds), a couple people recommended avast! so i figured give it a shot. it does not automatically update, regardless if it is connected to the internet, i had to manually do the definition update. it says 1/10 shields are disabled, which causes it to constantly have the "!" triangle on the tray icon. i called support and they had me reinstall it, relicence it, etc, since it also told me the firewall is "unknown." windows firewall is on, when i disable it, it does not sense the avast firewall, so it says my computer is not protected. i was a little surprised to see in the log that the avast firewall is on, and am not surprised that, if i am running two firewalls, that is why it is slow.

aside from the ram upgrade, any other suggestions in regards to avast creating the lag?

thank you very much again!

Edited by orangejello42, 31 May 2013 - 09:45 PM.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:50 PM

If crucial recommends 1.25 GB I suppose you could go along with that

Bruce.

This post was edited to remove instructions that was related to Windows 7 and did not apply to Windows XP. ~Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 07 June 2013 - 10:37 AM.

#7 orangejello42

orangejello42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:00 PM

im not sure where the windows 7 is coming from, i only have windows xp (32 bit, sp3), and have never installed anything else on here. i just checked the link again and that is what it read for me.

aside from ram, any thoughts on my firewall situation? avast does not tell me the avast firewall is running, and neither does windows. as far as i can see, windows is the only one running, but according to speccy, both are on. on the avast interface, the firewall is "unknown." i dont want to disable something and have warnings because one does not sense the other, but im pretty sure i dont need 2 firewalls, if it is causing lag. if you are unsure, any reccomendations on where to go?

thank you again!

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:29 AM

Please excuse my error, I had yours and another member's speccy report opened at the same time and I looked at theirs instead of yours and they had Windows 7. So that is why I mentioned Windows 7.

I'll make a mention of my error in that post.

Bruce.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:58 AM

Having two firewalls running at the same time on the same machine is not recommended. If it was me, I would uninstall Avast. This way you know only one firewall is running.

Now if you wish to keep Avast, you can go into your control panel, look for the icon titled Windows Firewall and double click it. Here there are two options, on and off. Simply select off if it is on, then click OK.

This should free up some resources if in fact both firewalls are currently running.

Bruce.

#10 orangejello42

orangejello42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:26 AM

hey, sorry for the delayed response. i tried disabling one firewall, tried the other, and neither seemed to have any effect. at one point it was taking about 30 minutes to get firefox to load, so i gave up....today it only took about 5...

if i get rid of avast, do you have another suggestion for internet security, that is cheap or free? thats the main reason why i ended up with avast, and apparently my computer does not like it.

sorry again for the delay in response. thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users