Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

network problems

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 charlyn

charlyn

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:12 PM

I'm stuck using my boyfriends wifi network. Which gives him access to my computer no matter what I do it seems. He is very smart in the area of computers. I know enough to get bye but the intrusion. It seems I can not stop.I run windows 7 ultimate. My goal is to disable all inbound connections, and remote Assistance. The default account which has access remotely. I also want disabled. I will never have a use for it. If there is a problem with my computer. I will fix it my self. Thank you for your help in advance.

Edited by hamluis, 31 May 2013 - 09:40 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ComputerTechGuy

ComputerTechGuy

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:33 PM

when you say access define access does he tell you about stuff you have on the computer is he gaining access to your files he can not just access your files and documents with out either giving him your username and password to the computer including the machine name and mac address or him having admin rights to your computer sure he can use net use or net view to see your computer details but that is it and he can only gain access to remote contol if you have it on the pc best to check that first don't worry you can reprotect yourself with our help.

Kind Regards

ComputerTechGuy

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

Many home WiFi routers are set to enable links between computers connected to them. If your boyfriend can't or won't turn that feature off, you can turn off file sharing on your computer. Go to the start button, Control Panel>Network and Sharing Options, and uncheck the radio buttons for file sharing. This only applies if you are connected to a homegroup. If you're not, then you don't have anything to worry about there.

Also, as ComputerTechGuy noted, if your computer user account is password protected, don't give him the password or he could use it to remote in.

#4 charlyn

charlyn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:45 AM

He is having everything I do or read or type logged and sent to him some how. He is also viewing my actions in real time..and I keep changing my password. But he keeps ending up with it. I have given up on doing that anymore.

And as for the settings I have set them numerous times also.they just end up right back and I get all kinds of access denied errors. Oh yeah if it helps I just formatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows 7 ultimate on it yesterday.

Edited by charlyn, 31 May 2013 - 02:53 AM.

#5 ComputerTechGuy

ComputerTechGuy

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:09 AM

with a virus scanner check the pc for any keyloggers or keylogging software this will stop all of this scan with the following,

1. MalwareButes

2. Eset Security online Scan

3. Super Antispyware

4. Emsisoft Online Armor Free Firewall

Kind Regards

Computer TechGuy

#6 charlyn

charlyn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:59 AM

OK . I will try that. Do I use all of them ? One more question for you. I was just. in formed . That he has been connecting remotely to my computer bye impersonating me . I'm not exactly sure how that works but i'm reading up on it now. I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible. Ultimately I want to be able to log on using only the local computer ( My laptop ). I have no need for remote connections . I am a student and my laptop is surgically attached to my side.

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:25 AM

Use all of them, one at a time. For the first three, I'd recommend installing one, running it, then removing the program. You don't want more than one antivirus program running on your computer at any one time; they'll conflict and create problems.

Do you always have your WiFi turned on? If you don't need it or aren't using it, turn it off. He can't connect to your laptop if you aren't connected to the Internet.

If he is remoting in, try disallowing remote desktop connections in your firewall. Go to Control Panel>System, and click Remote Settings in the left panel. In System Properties, under Remote Dektop, uncheck any users listed there. Then, in Control Panel>Windows Firewall, in the left panel, click on Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall. Scroll down and unclick both boxes for Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance.

And lastly, get a new boyfriend.

#8 hispaladin

hispaladin

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

OK, this is as much for everyone else in this thread as it is for charlyn if not more.  Cant he be picking up some login info by sniffing packets?  I am not sure on this but if it is his wifi router wouldn't he be able to snag any info he wants from the network traffic?

#9 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

Very true, and a very real possibility. If she's not using WPA or WPA2 encryption on the connection, he might be monitoring wireless packets. WEP is very easy to hack. Or he's sniffing them by connecting via Ethernet to the router.

So let me expand on my previous suggestion -- don't use his WiFi router, ever. If you need to connect to the Internet, go to a friend's house or someplace that has free WiFi. If you're at his place with your laptop, turn your WiFi off. Still scan for keyloggers and spyware, and disable any remote desktop connections on your laptop and in your firewall settings.

#10 hispaladin

hispaladin

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:18 PM

As I understand it even if they are using WPA2 encryption if he has the encryption key he could still de-crypt the data correct?  I am sure it would be hard but as I understand it it would be possible, as the encryption is set on the router not the workstation.  Am I way off or is this possible? 

#11 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:31 PM

You would think so, but WPA and WPA2 also uses random session numbers for each WiFi session, for each computer, to further encrypt the traffic. It is possible to grab that session number when the WiFi session is begun, but it's tricky and he'd literally have to be there monitoring the packets for each WiFi session.

To be on the safe side, best thing is never use his WiFi access point again.

#12 hispaladin

hispaladin

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:44 PM

Ok good to know.  Ah well to be honest I was just asking for my own benefit, I would agree with you totally, don't use his wifi if he is going to do that kinda crap.  (well I would agree with your first suggestion)

And lastly, get a new boyfriend.

#13 masher92

masher92

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:06 PM

Hi charlyn,

Just to add to what others have already said.

If you could download and run this MiniToolBox: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/

When the program opens can you tick the boxes "List Installed Programs" and "List Devices" and next to list devices can you select "All".

When you click GO, it will open up a text file.  Save this text file to your desktop by going File -> Save as.

When replying to this post click the "More Reply Options". Where it says attach files, please click browse and select the file you've just saved, then click "Attach This File".

You should also disable remote assistance and remote desktop:

From the start menu type sysdm.cpl and press enter.

This will open up a new window. Click on the remote tab.

Make sure Allow Remote Assistance connections to this computer is not selected.

Make sure Don't allow remote connections to this computer is selected.

Then click OK.

Any problems follow these instructions, please let me know.

Thank you.

#14 charlyn

charlyn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:38 AM

thank you for your help here are the scan results you asked for and im making sure remote setting are disabled now thanks again.

Attached File  Result.txt   26.76KB   6 downloads

#15 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:31 AM

I see you have Cheat Engine 6.2 installed. This is normally used to hack computer games to give yourself unlimited health, life, etc. Apparently it can also be used to hack things like Facebook accounts: http://tag.wonderhowto.com/hack-facebook-with-cheat-engine/

I'm not aware of uses for it to hack a PC, but I wouldn't rule it out. If you didn't install this program yourself, I would definitely uninstall it.

Other than that, I don't see anything overly suspicious on your system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users