Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asteroid 1998 QE2's close encounter with Earth (Please read!)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:47 PM

Asteroid 1998 QE2, a space rock more than nine times as long as the QE2 ocean liner, is due to sail past Earth on Friday — generating a huge wave of observations and online commentary

http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/30/18599228-asteroid-1998-qe2s-close-encounter-generates-a-wave-of-attention-online?lite

1998 QE2's passage is also stoking public interest because it's coming just three and a half months after a much smaller asteroid broke apart spectacularly over Russia.

Just sharing this with everybody as a public awareness concern.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:31 PM

Are there any thoughts or concerns about this event to which is to take place on Friday May 31 2013.

This asteroid will pass very close to Earth and there is no way to predict if any particles following this may enter Earth's atmosphere or if the asteroid it's self may effect Earth.

Here we're more worried about Earth related casualties--such as tornadoes, Earth quakes and Hurricanes and often, we over-look the threat from outer space. This includes explosions on the sun called solar flares

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:31 PM

If I read the link to CosmicLog correctly, it's due to reach its nearest point about 4.30 pm ET. If ET is the time band for the US Eastern Seaboard, that's about 10.30 pm UK, just getting nicely dark. Might be worth going out if it's not too cloudy and having a look for stray bits hitting the Earth's atmosphere.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:03 PM

For sure I hope everyone reads that Cosmiclog web page, if not a possible disaster to Earth, it is certainly a science project for the whole family.

The web page in that link above has links to other resources such as live telescope images, on-line live chat related to the science of this and other asteroids. It's actually a bigger event than one would believe if they didn't at least click that link above to learn that even the Whitehouse in Washington D.C. is excited about it.

Mention is also made in that article that we want to land on an asteroid and explore it. Imagine parking on one of those things and taking a free ride around the universe, wondering where would it take us?

The purpose of this thread is not create panic, but to get our members interested in what is possibly out there and the fact that the cosmos can tell us a lot about ourselves.

E.T. call home? Some day we may actually learn we are not the only intelligent beings in the universe and E.T. and close encounter of the third kind may someday be a reality.

Have fun everyone with your exploration of outer space and be sure to invite the cat and dog to your space peering activities. :alien:

Bruce the extra trestrial.... :alien2:

Edited by MrBruce1959, 30 May 2013 - 08:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users