Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unexpected Shutdowns Using XBMC

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:31 AM

Hello all, I just recently downloaded this new Entertainment Hub program called XBMC for my Toshiba Laptop and it works great. It's a really cool program that lets me access all the media on my computer through a nice interface as if I was searching for movies on netflix or something, same with my music and pictures. Get more info about it here: http://xbmc.org/about/

Another cool feature is it lets me use my Android phone as the remote control! So right there and then, I fell in love. :heart:

UNTIL...... Just last night I was browsing through some of my movies while updating the library, nothing it shouldn't be able to handle, and then my computer flat out shuts down. :woot: And this shutdown was different, this is the first time my computer has shut down and the lights indicating that the computer is plugged in along with battery light went out. It was still plugged in so light should have remained on through the unexpected shut down, it always has in the past whenever I've had unexpected shutdowns. :angry:

But moving on, I tried unplugging and plugging the cord back in right away and light didn't come on  :unsure: (I didn't try turning on yet). I then realized that the laptop was pretty damn hot so I let it cool down for a minute (Also blew the dust out from the inside a little bit). So after a few minutes, I plugged it back in, the lights came on, I booted it up and everything was fine. My problem is that it keeps doing this to me! I am starting to worry that maybe it's overheating from the program or a hardware problem but I could be wrong, and I don't know what to do. :(

If this helps, I've only had this problem when I use my Android as a remote control using their free app. <_<

All help will be greatly appreciated as always, thank you.

Hulk_Tag.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:22 PM

Try blowing out the vents using canned air.

Also make sure the laptop is setting on a solid surface so the vents remain functional.

You can download a program like SIW to check your temperatures.

Caution should be taken when installing this program, like many others now days it has third party software which is optional but come with a check mark in the accept box.  Read all of the information before accepting third party software, this is a good practice with all downloads.

When you open SIW, scroll down the menu on the left to Sensors under Hardware and click on it.  When Sensors opens you will see an image similar to the one below.

siwsensors1_zps28cdd989.png

Check your temperatures before and then after blowing out the dust.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users