Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Service Pack 1 - Prevent the Update

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 crumblydonut

crumblydonut

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:17 AM

Microsoft will no longer freely support Windows 7 without the Service Pack 1 update. The problem for me is that I have never, ever been able to successfully install the update (this is apparently not an uncommon trait). This computer will last me about another year and I m happy with it, as is. It works for what I need to do. I'm okay not having Microsoft's support.

How to disable the service pack from attempting another fruitless update? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Right now, it seems every 4th time I start my pc, I get that service pack installation, then the subsequent reversion. The whole thing takes about an hour before I can actually log on.

Thanks, BC peoples!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:02 PM

Hi

I strongly advice to install SP1. It not only contains security updates but includes several reliability, stability and performance enhancements.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows7/whats-included-in-windows-7-service-pack-1-sp1

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) is an important update that includes previously released security, performance, and stability updates for Windows 7. SP1 also includes new improvements to features and services in Windows 7, such as improved reliability when connecting to HDMI audio devices, printing using the XPS Viewer, and restoring previous folders in WindowsExplorer after restarting.

If you have problems installing SP1 using Windows update, try downloading and running the offline installer. 

For 32 bit Win 7 - http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/A/F/0AFB5316-3062-494A-AB78-7FB0D4461357/windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe

For 64 bit Win 7 - http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/A/F/0AFB5316-3062-494A-AB78-7FB0D4461357/windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe

Use a download manager like FDM if you have slow internet or connection issues.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 30 May 2013 - 12:04 PM.

#3 crumblydonut

crumblydonut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:03 PM

I appreciate the advice, but again, I'd rather not have anything to do with the service pack 1. I'll try it with your download links, but it most likely won't work.

I want to prevent the service pack from ever attempting to install. I've worked on this computer for a year and a half without it and I can work for another year without it.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:41 PM

Hi

You can simply turn off automatic updates or set it to manual from control panel. As long as your PC is SP0, automatic updates will try to upgrade it to SP1

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows7/change-how-windows-installs-or-notifies-you-about-updates

1. Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818. In the search box, type Update, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Update.

2. In the left pane, click Change settings.

3. Under Important updates, click  the following Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them

#5 crumblydonut

crumblydonut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:26 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I have made those settings already. Still getting the auto updating though!

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:46 PM

Hi

You can select the option Never check for updates to disable automatic updates completely.

#7 crumblydonut

crumblydonut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:10 AM

Great...Illl try it.

#8 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:42 AM

I would suggest that you reinstall Windows 7.

SP1 + the other ~150+ Windows updates are vital to the overall security and performance of your system.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users