Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot turn on System Restore

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bsgranpa

bsgranpa

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

About a month ago, I decided to do a fresh install on my Dell N5010, Win 7 Home Premium, 64 Bit, Intel i3 processer laptop.  I used the disks I made at the time of purchase, and ran into a freeze.  It kept telling me to insert the OS disk which, of course, I did not have.  In despiration, I bought a Win 7 Home Premium OS, inserted it, booted, repaired and everything went well after that.

I use an online program for business which has historically worked best using Internet Explorer.  I use Firefox for all other browsing.  Yesterday, I could not open the online program.  Instead I got a message that Explorer had to close and restart and I had the same "loop" over and over.  I never could sign on. When I tried using Firefox, I could access the program.

I decided to use System Restore to go back a few days to a point when the program worked in IE.  However, I found that Restore was turned off.  Bummer!  When I tried to turn it on, I got the following error message.

Could not apply the settings for the following reason (0x8007007B)

The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

I tried Googling the above error number but found nothing online that seemed helpful.  There was some note about making sure that the System Volume Information was not "read only".  But I don't have any idea how to even check that.  I am relatively comfortable around a computer but would appreciate it if any directions to fix this be in a "Repair System Restore for Dummies" kind of step by step explaination.  Thanks in advance, this has always been a great place for help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:38 AM

You might try this

Creating system restore point manually:
1. Open System by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking System.
2. In the left pane, click System Protection If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
3. Click the System Protection tab, and then click Create.
4. In the System Protection dialog box, type a description, and then click Create

You may also try to boot in Safe mode and try doing a System restore.

Step 2: To boot to Safe Mode you can follow the below given steps:

1. Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer.

Click the Start button, click the arrow next to the Lock button, and then clickRestart.

2. Do one of the following:

a. If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you will need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.

b. If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to start in safe mode, and then press F8.

3. On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight the safe mode option you want, and then press ENTER.

#3 bsgranpa

bsgranpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:13 AM

I cannot turn on system restore without getting the error message above.  I tried Safe Mode, but the option to turn on System Restore is not available as a System option like it is normally.

#4 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

Sounds like it wants to store restore points to a wrong path. this might be of help

To set the proper restore point path in Windows 7, performing the following steps:

a. Click on Start.
The Start Menu will appear.
b. Type sysdm.cpl in the search box and press <Enter>.
The User Account Control window will prompt for permission to run the program.
c. Click Continue.
The System Properties window appears.
d. Click the System Protection tab.
e. Under Automatic restore points, uncheck any invalid or duplicate location
f. Click to check the C: drive with the Windows Logo
g. Click on Apply and click Ok

#5 bsgranpa

bsgranpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:43 AM

How do I add or attach a picture of a screen shot?

#6 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,054 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

How do I add or attach a picture of a screen shot?

When you go to create a new post, make sure to click on the button which says, "Most Reply Options" near the "Post" button. When you click on it then it should bring you to an interface where at the bottom has an option to attach files. Click on the "Choose Files..." button and then locate where you saved the picture/s to. Click on the picture/s you want to upload and then click open. Then you should see the picture just above the "Attach Files", then click on "Add to Post".

Edited by xXToffeeXx, 30 May 2013 - 11:52 AM.

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#7 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

Here's How:
  1. Press the Print Screen key on your keyboard. It may be labeled [PrtScn].

2. Open an image editing program, such as Microsoft Paint.

3. Go to the Edit menu and choose Paste.

4. If prompted to enlarge the image, choose Yes.

5. Optional: Use your image editor's crop tool to crop out unnecessary portions of the screen shot.

6. Go to the File Menu and choose Save As.

7. Navigate to the folder where you want to save the image.

8. Type a file name for the image.

9. Select a file type.

10. Click the Save button.

Tips:
  1. Hold the Alt key down while pressing Print Screen to capture only the active window.

2. Generally the GIF format works best when saving screen shots of application windows. The JPEG format usually makes screen shots (especially those with text) blurry, blotchy and discolored.

3. See related resources below for more screen shot tips and listings of screen capture software that offers many more options for capturing screens and portions of screens on Windows and Macintosh computers.

4. The Windows "clipboard" is a term used to describe the temporary storage space in memory where an item is placed when you copy or cut. When you paste, the item is transferred to the program you're working in. If you copy something else, the old item is replaced with the new. You can't manipulate the clipboard directly; it's only used for copy and paste operations.

5. If you have windows Vista, you can capture screen shots much more easily using the Snipping Tool included with Vista.
Here's How:

5. Optional: Use your image editor's crop tool to crop out unnecessary portions of the screen shot.

9. Select a file type.

Tips:
  1. Hold the Alt key down while pressing Print Screen to capture only the active window.

2. Generally the GIF format works best when saving screen shots of application windows. The JPEG format usually makes screen shots (especially those with text) blurry, blotchy and discolored.

3. See related resources below for more screen shot tips and listings of screen capture software that offers many more options for capturing screens and portions of screens on Windows and Macintosh computers.

4. The Windows "clipboard" is a term used to describe the temporary storage space in memory where an item is placed when you copy or cut. When you paste, the item is transferred to the program you're working in. If you copy something else, the old item is replaced with the new. You can't manipulate the clipboard directly; it's only used for copy and paste operations.

5. If you have windows Vista, you can capture screen shots much more easily using the Snipping Tool included with Vista.

Here's How:

9. Select a file type.

Tips:

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:35 PM

Hi

This error can be happen if any partition is listed twice in system restore. One may be shown as "Missing" . Removing the duplicate entries probably solve the issue. If you are unsure, open system restore tab and turn off restore function in all drives except C.

A ) Right click on the Computer button and click on Properties.

B ) Click on the System Protection link. (see screenshot below)

1051d1229784383t-system-restore-system.j

Click on the System Restore button. (see screenshot below)

1052d1229784383t-system-restore-system_p

Like what you see in the picture, select all drives except the C and press Configure button. There you will see an option to turn off the system restore in that volume.

To fix the Internet explorer, you can try the below tool :

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/ie_freezes_or_crashes

#9 bsgranpa

bsgranpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

Mr. Edavana, deleting the other drives now allows me to turn on system restore.  Thank you very much.  I tried the "Fixit" from Microsoft but it found no problems so I'm just as stuck as before trying to get IE to work.  Firefox seems to be a workable alternative, but I would like to have an IE option from time to time.  Is there a way to uninstall and reinstall IE?

#10 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:48 PM

Hi

Which version of IE you are using ? (8, 9 or 10) . Follow the below steps.

1 ) Try resetting IE first.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

2 ) Uninstall every single browser tool bar from the PC (Control Panel-->Programs). After manual uninstall finishes, download and run avast browser cleanup from 

http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Browser-Cleanup/3000-2144_4-75872295.html

Run the tool to and clean any remaining tool bar remnants.

3 ) Update IE to the latest version. Currently version 10 is the latest. It will automatically replace your current version.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/internet-explorer/ie-10-worldwide-languages

#11 bsgranpa

bsgranpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:49 PM

This is what happens in IEAttached File  IE Stopped Working.gif   156.05KB   4 downloads

#12 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

Hi

Follow instructions from my previous post.

#13 bsgranpa

bsgranpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:41 PM

Thank you very much, the reset worked and IE is up an running.  By the way, I was using IE10.  Much appreciated

#14 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:01 PM

Hi

Glad to know that everything works fine  :thumbup2: 

Don't forget to create a new restore point which saves the current state of the system. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users