Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excel 'Accessing Printer' issue

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RoThiSePh

RoThiSePh

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:08 AM

This issue has persisted for many months, and I've been unable to find a reason for why it is happening. I have suspicions that it's down to a networked printer in our office, but at this stage I don't know how to resolve it.

The problem

When using Excel, I will occasionally get the message Accessing Printer appearing in the status bar. It doesn't happen every single time I use Excel, but once it starts happening during a session, it will continue to show this message mostly every time I try to edit a cell's content or formatting.

When the taskbar is showing this message, Excel will freeze up and not allow you to click on other cells, change tabs, or allow edits of any kind. This message would take from 20 seconds to over a minute to go away, allowing me to continue using Excel. I have discovered a way to cancel out of the printer accessing procedure by pressing ESC; however, this is a temp solution, and it has been known on occasion for me to have to press ESC up to 7 or 8 times in order to cancel chain Accessing Printer messages.

The message will sometimes also appear when loading Excel, and I have to wait 20 to 30 seconds+ in order for Excel to load (similar amount of time I would have had to wait when it happened during a session). Again, it's not happening every time, but it's enough to be a pain.

Potential cause...?

I read somewhere about trying to restarting the spooling process, but I don't remember being able to find the exact process present in the taskmanager. For reference, I've not been trying to print any of these files, so this isn't a printing issue as far as trying to print is concerned. When I do try to print using Excel, all seems fine.

The problem appears to be relating to some process trying to connect with the network printer against my will, when it doesn't appear to be necessary to carry out the standard Excel edits I'm making. is there any way to disable some feature to prevent this?

Specs

Here is the basic setup for this computer:

• OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130318-1533)
  • System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
  • System Model: Latitude E5430 non-vPro
  • BIOS: BRCM MBA Slot 0C00 v15.0.12
  • Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-3320M CPU @ 2.60GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
  • Memory: 4096MB RAM

Edited by hamluis, 30 May 2013 - 02:54 PM.
Moved from Vista to Business Applications - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:53 PM

Restarting the print spooler service seems to address this issue, according to Microsoft. To restart the print spool service, you can do it from  the command prompt or from the Computer Management console.

From the command prompt,, type in cmd in the search bar at the Start menu and type in net stop spooler at the command prompt, then press enter. At the next command prompt, type in net start spooler and hit enter.

From Computer Management, right click Computer in the start menu and select Manage. Under Services and Applications in the left pane, select services. Scroll down to Print Spooler  and right click it. If Start is greyed out, select Stop. Once it stops, right click again and select Start.

Or, again re Microsoft support forums, you may need to change the default printer, or update your print drivers.

Hope these help.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users