Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How many megabytes does online gaming use?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Zone out

Zone out

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:06 AM

I have a set download limit per month before my connection slows and I would like to know how much gaming uses. For example how many megs (ballpark), would an hour of playing halo use? Is there a simple way to find out?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:37 PM

Hello Zone out, it all depends on various things. But I'd assume that an hour of gaming wouldn't do much, but if you're gaming a lot then it could do some damage to your bandwith.

I'd say an hour could do around 20mbph.

I'm not sure if you can do this on Xbox, but on PS3 you can check your upload and your download speeds to check.

I'd google that one.

Craig

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#3 Zone out

Zone out
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:51 AM

Thanks for the reply.  I had a look around myself and the best estimate I found was about 80MB per hour, either way is fine for my needs.

#4 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:10 AM

Oh right, glad you found your answer. 

It's interesting to know how much internet gaming actually uses.

Have a nice day

Craig

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:05 AM

BUT: don't forget to include patches and revisions that must be downloaded from time to time. Depending on the game and number of patches, this could be significant in adding to the normal downloads of simply playing the game.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 BioHazard0948

BioHazard0948

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:06 AM

It should use around 35-40MB and if you're hosting the game then it would be around 100-150 MB.

#7 Zone out

Zone out
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:31 AM

Thanks.

#8 -Psychopath-

-Psychopath-

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:14 AM

This is interesting to know. I get my internet from my phone. It's unlimited, but the quality is sometimes really poor. Judging by what I've read here, I could certainly play online during the day if the weathers nice. So maybe it's time to think about buying some online games for my PS3.

#9 Wamill

Wamill

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:20 PM

I also have been wanting to know how much we consume by playing online as my subscription also have a limit of bandwidth usage per month.

#10 Coco2014

Coco2014

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:11 PM

That's depends of complexity of the games ...and how the games are built.

I like to play soccer games online and i'm using gta 5 cheats for Grand Theft Auto

#11 -Psychopath-

-Psychopath-

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:02 PM

I started gaming online last week with my phone providing my internet. As Coco2014 has said, I think data usage varies from game to game and how much you play. I've only played GTA V so far, for about three hours per day (Initial addiction which is already subsiding, lol) and my usage for the past week is around 4GB's. More then I thought.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users