Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

accidentally installed seomthing bad

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 carolannh

carolannh

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:21 AM

started with glitchy mouse action and inability to access documents with Open Opffice. tried all the fixes online for  security permissions for OO and had no luck. unistalled and reinstalled twice. then unistalled OO and tried to reinstall an odler version and got something else instead- zoom installer- and pc pro utility? have run stopzilla scans a few times without result. cannot unistall new download (pc pro utility)thru add/remove programs. does not appear on the list. think i have some junk. my son reports problems on another laptop that shares wifi.

sorry i am so lame and am back here again. OS is Win7. my desktop has icons for all the utilities i ran last itme i was here (combofix, tdss killer, cc cleaner, also have malware bytes.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 carolannh

carolannh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:33 AM

*something

#3 carolannh

carolannh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:50 AM

also pop-ups now. ads along the bottom of screen.

#4 im abcd

im abcd

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:09 AM

Hello, I will be assisting you today. As far as pc pro is concerned, can you find anything named as 'optimizer pro' in your add/remove programs? If yes, uninstall that. Next run the following utilities: 

Malwarebytes Anti Malware

The above utilities will pretty much clean all the junk you have in your pc. 

Note: No need to perform a full scan with MalwareBytes. Doing a quick scan is enough. 

3dsig_zpsd150d538.png

#5 carolannh

carolannh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:48 AM

did uninstall optimizer pro. gettting error msgs from MBAM, keeps closing. reinstalling now. will keep working on it and let you know. thanks!

#6 carolannh

carolannh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

MBAM log was negative, surprisingly. ESET is taking a while.

#7 carolannh

carolannh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:54 PM

ran all the utilties and got rid of the toolbar and ads and moving along at a nice clip now. thanks.

now reinstalling open office-my original problem-to see if i can open my documents.

#8 im abcd

im abcd

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:15 PM

ran all the utilties and got rid of the toolbar and ads and moving along at a nice clip now. thanks.

now reinstalling open office-my original problem-to see if i can open my documents.

Good thing. Keep me posted. :)

3dsig_zpsd150d538.png

#9 carolannh

carolannh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:36 PM

OK- still cannot use OO. error msg: The application cannot be started. open office user installation could not be processed due to missing access rights. Please make sure that you have sufficient access rights for the following location and restart OO.

I tried to fix this all night last night, following steps found on the internet and could not get it working. right click, properties, security, advanced, owner, full control,etc. even when it says allow full control i get the same error message. i cannot open a single document. can you help me with this?

#10 carolannh

carolannh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:07 PM

browser crashing, ads back.

#11 carolannh

carolannh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

trying to uninstall the folder that the error message directs to but cannot locate in it  windows explorer. C:Users\Mommy\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice.org\3.

#12 im abcd

im abcd

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:26 PM

Make sure you are running office as a administrator. To do so, right click the exe and click on run as administrator. Also, the ads coming back is a bit strange. You have downloaded open office from a legit source right? 

3dsig_zpsd150d538.png

#13 carolannh

carolannh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:52 PM

http://www.openoffice.org/download/  redirects to source forge to download (http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/stable/3.4.1/Apache_OpenOffice_incubating_3.4.1_Win_x86_install_en-US.exe/download). does that sound right?

i have run it as admin, no change, which is the same as all the forums say. the forums say the only fix is to delete the file in the error message that it says i have no access to but i cannot locate it to delete it.

#14 carolannh

carolannh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:08 PM

ok, found it (hidden file) and deleted it and can now use OO and access documents.

#15 carolannh

carolannh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:16 AM

toolbar is still gone and speed is great. just get occasional popups at he bottom of the screen. thanks so much for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users