Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo IdeaPad Z570 - Crashed and now won't boot past opening lenovo screen

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PDRmatt

PDRmatt

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:10 PM

So everything has been working fine on my laptop until about 10:30PM EST tonight. I bought it new in August 2011.

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-2630QM @ 2.00 GHz

RAM: 8 GB

HD: 750 GB

BIOS: 45CN36WW

It's always been a fine machine with NO problems.

However, last night there were Windows 7 updates that were installed and then restarted my computer. I had not gotten a chance to check exactly what they were though. About 10:30 this evening, flash crashed in Mozilla Firefox which is not that uncommon, and from there Firefox closed, and so did my Microsoft Word and Excel apps that were open. From there, my computer began to shut down and restart. When it went to restart, all it could do was go to the opening Lenovo screen which gives you the F2 (setup option) and F12 (multiboot menu option) as it typically does. Besides a thin strip at the top that appeared after about 30 secs that only displays moving static that eventually will just stick, that is where the boot process ends. No Windows 7 screen, and certainly no opportunity to boot into safe mode to check for any problems. The screen freezes and goes nowhere.

So basically, all I'm getting in terms of boot options are lenovo features, not windows 7 features, meaning it won't boot into windows 7 or windows 7 safe mode no matter what I try. The biggest problem here is that I have no windows 7 disc to even try to boot from my dvd drive.

Anybody have any suggestions on what the problem might be? I prefer to fix the problem from home if possible.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NoHz

NoHz

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:59 AM

Are you able to get into the advanced boot menu by tapping F8? It might not be listed on the startup screen but it should still be there.

If not you can burn a repair disc from any PC with Windows 7. Theres steps from Microsoft Here.

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:00 AM

Hi

Here is the user manual of your laptop - http://www.lenovo.com/shop/americas/content/user_guides/z370_z470_z570_ug_en.pdf

If you don't have any important data in the system, you can try OS restore using the built in recovery function. Refer page 35 of the manual to know how to do that properly.

If you don't want to restore the OS, follow the below instructions.

1 ) Download Seagate Seatool for DOS from http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

Burn the ISO by referring this instructions - http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/201431en

Boot from the burned disc and run a "long test" with seatool. We are doing this to make sure your HDD is in good condition. About 50 % of the OS corruptions are happened due to bad hard disks.

2 ) If the HDD passed health test, proceed to repair the OS. But you need to obtain either a Win 7 64 Setup DVD or System repair disc.Since you don't have one, borrow one from a friend or neighbor. You can create a system repair CD from a Windows 7 installed machine at any time.

You can purchase a legal copy of the system recovery disc from this link https://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/

You have to pay a small fee because Microsoft charges a fee for every copy of WinPE any one distributes. They used to distribute it for free but Microsoft didn't like the idea to distribute their recovery CD for free. 

3 ) If you are able to get a repair CD, try Startup repair and system restore functions. Read the below guide to know how to properly do a startup repair.

Post the results in next reply.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 30 May 2013 - 07:04 AM.

#4 PDRmatt

PDRmatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:12 AM

My apologies. I failed to mention that my HDD is a Western Digital WD7500BPVT-24HXZT3 model. Do I still need to use the Seagate tool even though my HDD is Western Digital or a different tool? Thanks.

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:41 AM

Hi

Western digital do have their own diagnostic tool named data lifeguard diagnostics. Unfortunately their DOS version didn't came as a pre-made bootable ISO. Customer need to boot from a free-DOS media and execute the program. That will be confusing to newbies and that is why i ignored it.But Seatool is enough to know whether there are any surface defects in any manufacturers HDD. I used it regularly in work to find defects in WD, Hitachi and Samsung.

Don't hesitate ask any doubts. I will be around  :)

#6 PDRmatt

PDRmatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

Okay, using the SeaTools for DOS tool, there was no hard drive found to even complete a test. Nothing should have shaken the cables or anything, because my laptop always lays flat on a desk. With that being the case, is it safe to say that my HDD has died?

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:28 AM

Hi

Don't panic. Seatool or other DOS based utilities may fail to operate when SATA mode is set to AHCI. You may need to temporary disable SATA AHCI and set it to IDE emulation mode. Enter in to the BIOS setup by pressing F2 during power on. You can verify if the HDD is detected in BIOS. If it is detected, change the SATA mode to IDE

#8 PDRmatt

PDRmatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:20 PM

Alright! Everything seems to be working now thanks to you. I just did a clean sweep on the HDD and just started over on the whole thing. I appreciate all of your help! Is there anything I can do to give you a recommendation or something?

#9 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:30 PM

Hi

Glad to know that your system is up and running  :thumbup2:  

I guess you used Lenovo one key recovery to restore the OS to factory state. Don't forget to create a system repair CD this time. It may came handy in future. Also burn and keep a recovery DVD set which can restore the OS if recovery partition got corrupted. Refer the manual to know how to burn the recovery DVD set (page 40 ).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users