Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hope others don't have this problem.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mrliquid

mrliquid

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:22 PM

I just had to purchase a new laptop as my old one was fried. Luckily, I had my external Iomega HD. Problem is, it won't work with Windows 8 as there are no drivers in 8 for the drive. I have looked and found that Iomega was acquired by Lenovo who just happened to be the manufacturers of my new laptop. No help there unfortunately. Have to try some sommersaults and see what happens.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:49 PM

Hello mrliquid, what model number is this external hard drive?

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 mrliquid

mrliquid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

Bruce,

320GB Prestige USB 2.0

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:40 PM

First off this is Microsoft's Windows 8 Compatibility web site. 

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/win8/CompatCenter/Home

This link says it IS compatible http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/win8/CompatCenter/ProductViewerWithDefaultFilters?TempOsid=win8&Locale=en-us&TextSearch=320GB%2BPrestige%2BUSB%2B2.0%2Bhard%2Bdrive&Type=Both&CurrentPage=0&TotalPages=1&ShowCriteria=0&SortCriteria=Relevance&Compatibility=Unknown&LastRequested=14

Let me test that link above to be sure it is connecting you where I need you to go.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:47 PM

Okay that link works just fine. At that bottom link above there are two results for your device, click both links to see the main page for your device.

What that tells us is Windows 8 has native drivers for your device. Try windows update and see what pops up.

Although I do not always recommend windows update drivers, sometimes their drivers are the only ones that are digitally signed and actually work. That is of course rare and often legacy hardware works better with digitally signed drivers.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users